Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the mavie in 7-2013. it has had both clutch an starter recall done @ 13hrs. @ 16hrs she died and I pulled the cover, the secondary backed out and now its at the dealer. the question is, they said the cam failed and took tension off the bolt and then it backed out. research says bolt not torqued or lock tighted after starter recall. They want to charge me the $50 for the BEST out of pocket. I just want to know there not pulling my leg. Thanks

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
most likely wasn't tightened properly after the recall was performed. Seen it reported multiple times. I also thought BRP extended everyone's clutch warranty by 6 months as well. Will be hard to prove it was due to neglagence on the delaers part even though it sure sounds like that is what happened.

Reactions: Tbtexas.com

·
Registered
400 Posts
i would just tell them if $50 is worth losing a customer over then so be it, or they can air on side of end user and handle the service we all expect when spending money.

Good luck !!

Reactions: Clifs maverick

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would throw in the caution flag and have a heart to heart with the Svc Manager....This needs to happen in your case. Let them know what you are thinking in a nice way......

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am on the side of letting the dealer try to recover some of his money back, if they are a good dealer. CanAm may figure it out when he tries to submit a claim to them. I would bet that CanAm pays the dealers about 2/3 or less of what it takes to do the job.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I am on the side of letting the dealer try to recover some of his money back, if they are a good dealer. CanAm may figure it out when he tries to submit a claim to them. I would bet that CanAm pays the dealers about 2/3 or less of what it takes to do the job.
not sure I follow....if the dealer messed it up by installing it incorrectly, why should you help him put money in his pocket? We work hard for our money and don't think giving the dealer even $50 to make this go away is fair on the owner if it was a result of improper maintenance procedures by their service dept. I would love for them to show me how the cam failed since it is a non moving part in the clutch...translation, the tech didn't properly seat the cam on the shaft prior to tightening down the bolt....the owner drove it and the cam rotated and fell into place on the shaft and now the bolt is loose and works it's way out after a few hours.....I guarantee you Can Am will question this claim and possibly reject it and the dealer will have to cover it since they performed the recall work just 3 hours earlier....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
When you become a dealer, you get paid flat rate warranty rate. It is approx. 20 percent less than retail. That is part of the agreement when you become a dealer that guarantees income from service. Even if the repair was 3 months earlier, and with the negative experiences they have had with the clutches there is a thing called goodwill. The dealer can good will, brp can good will or they can both participate. This is what needs to happen. The op of this thread should be handled with no out of pocket expenses on this. If I were the dealer principle or svc manager, I would make it happen period. There Should be no question based on ethics alone!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to say it but this is my second can am, and I have never had to take a clutch apart. So all that I know is just from guys like yourselves. Sounds like this is confirming what I was thinking and I am going to have to look into it more and ask to see the failure. I was also going to call BRP about the extended 6 month warranty on the clutch that some received via letter. I would much rather pay $50 over actual cost but if I had no warranty I know I would be fighting it. And about saying there wrong in a nice way... its hard sometimes... I was already doing it as I told them " When they replace that on time use bolt in the clutch, I will wait and extra day for the lock tight to dry to pick it up, I don't want this to cause another problem as the next place im going riding will be 3x harder to recover this from." They told me the had to order a new cam, and that's all they said there were ordering so I hinted the bolt. What's the orange rubber looking piece behind the spring? It was melted some. I was not able to get the cover off with the clutch pushing on it. so that's all I saw (though I blew a belt). When I get there I will talk about failure, look at parts list, and after I pick it up, pull into a station and pull the cover off and look inside. I have the plastics at home so it will only take a minute. The guy here are nice and its the nicest dealer of the four in a 2hr radius. I have never had service from any of them tho Thanks Guys

·
Registered
363 Posts
i would just tell them if $50 is worth losing a customer over then so be it, or they can air on side of end user and handle the service we all expect when spending money.

Good luck !!
Not only will they say "Yes", theyll even open the door for you on the way out. Lol.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If they installed it and the helix wasn't seated properly, it should be on them anyway. They are supposed to torque the secondary, run it, and then retorque anyway. Dealers are fucktards anyway.

Reactions: Snapper692

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after posting I looked up diagrams and now I know what I'm looking at. What's the cost of a cam? I don't see how that would have caused the bolt to come out at all. Also called Can Am and they have no record of the dealer calling since the recall. So either they are waiting until I pick it up to process the parts or are having my pay for the part and eating labor. Any how we will see and I will ask to see the damaged part and proboly pay the $50. Its just a shame. BRP was no help on the phone by the way. This dealer I'm dealing with is the only platinum one in my area. heck the dealer I bought it from has had a busy signal for the past three days.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the clutch is bolted to the crank no cam ,

and other clutch is on gear box

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, im talking about the one on the gearbox, (drive/secondary). And the orange (cam/helix) between the spring and gearbox...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would tell them to eat shit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well... They did not replace the main bolt and said its good to go. Told them to look it up, send my the bolt and i will do it myself. Get home and pulled off trailer into snow and it was jerking still. Needless to say not happy and looking for new dealer. And i'm about to file a claim with the BBB. I want a new cover as it is slightly damaged, a belt, and a bolt. Plus my $50 back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
O yeah i"m waiting for the shop manager to call as he was not in...

What is the cause of jerking at 30mph in low? Glazes belt I'm thinking. Could not find pics of one to compare.

My 2ndary got louder last summer. At 1800rps when it warms up it howles. Also brought up twice at dealer.

I have an appointment at new dealer on 25th...

i know this is it trying to engage, but its what it is doing at 25-30mph in the snow in 4x4 low.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts