Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The XRS is now in the barn, figured it time to see whats under the plastic and get ready for a break in ride.
After reading the owners manual ( ok some of it..) decided to check filters. There is a small CVT inlet filter on the LH side held on with two rubber grommet. They were very hard to remove and install so gave them a squirt of silicone spray
Much better,
Next were the seat, what a bugger to remove with the nets, and would not lock in- again a shot of silicone spray got it done.
Next was the air filter I heard all the issues about. Found a secondary filter in the glove box.
there is a braket kit and the pre oil filter (felt like sticky belray do good stuff).

Now the main filter- the cover was hard to remove, clamps were tight. Tried them with out the filter, much easier, so the filter element edge is being pinched. For good measure I added a bead of Lucas Oil Red & Tacky to the edges. Have used this method for years and never had a dust issue. And a shot of silicone in the rubber grommets. (Sorry, not photos, hands were greezy.
Also in the glove box was a tool kit- including a clutch tool, shock spanner, and torx bit.

Next was the coolant overflow cap, the comment was correct, it does not screw down well. Found an O ring that fit inside the cap, snugs down nicely now.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After reading all the cluch stories figured to take a look. After a bunch of push pins the 2 covers come off. Then 14 bolt to remove the cover - 4 can only be accessed from below- a PITA even with a ratcheting wrench (8mm). The bolt has a stack off slippery washer. U decided to mark the bolt and the inner sheave- if the marks move that means the bolt is twisting.
Hard to photo but you get the idea.
The belt is very easy to remove with the tool. Pulled it off to inspect - the edge had a greezy plastic feel. This is normal due to gas out, but can lead to slipping and failure. Cleaned the sides off with laquer thinner- this is the gunk that came off.
Then took some 220 grit sand paper and lightly scuffed the edges, and recleaned. Also wiped down both sheaves and reinstalled. Used antiseeze on the cover bolts - steel bolt and brass nut = stuck once you add water.

While in there removed the paper tag from the exhaust pipe
There a few move to remove toward the back as well.
Shot if red battry spray as well to protect the terminals

Fluids are full, time to work on the Teryx and riding on Sunday.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The oring for the rad overflow cap is a darn good idea! And I saw in another post that there is about 10 slippery washers. Would you say that's about right? Mine only had 1.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
looks good, yes those gromments that hold the hood on and the cvt cover intake, i always take thos eoff and hit them with a touch of grease. I had a friend who actually broke off his hood piece because it was so tight on a commander limited.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. These are not farm Rhinos, figured anything to keep the in top condition.
And I saw in another post that there is about 10 slippery washers. Would you say that's about right? Mine only had 1.
Did not count them but that seems right. The bolt did not have a flange. After reading about your ordeal I would check along with mark the bolt.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yup the darn coolant caps leak on these machine, super easy fix a o-ring , nice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts