Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Maverick X3 DS
147 Posts
That looks like an awesome trail system. Thanks for the video.

Reactions: SideXEach

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice job thanks for sharing like seeing other peoples rides and what there day is like compared to mine, one thing enjoy seeing is over and over again is sharing of the road and general idea of everyone having good time.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its almost endless. 3 days just to do that loop on main trails. Mother in law wants to take a machine and do the same loop this weekend. It will be interesting guiding a 64 year old woman that far.

Hopefully my neutral density lense filters arrive this week. Gotta get rid of that overexposure washing the video out. Looks kind of meh after YouTube compresses the file.

Would love to film in 2.7K or 4K but the file sizes would be absurd. 1 minute of 4K is almost a gig of data lol.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job thanks for sharing like seeing other peoples rides and what there day is like compared to mine, one thing enjoy seeing is over and over again is sharing of the road and general idea of everyone having good time.
Lots more to come in all seasons👍. Almost fall here the green will be yellow and orange soon.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
a couple things..

first love how ORV friendly that last town was.. i got a chuckle out of hitting the drive thru in your sxs..
2nd.. love the new choices in music lol
3rd.. you're in canada.. where are the mooses???

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a couple things..

first love how ORV friendly that last town was.. i got a chuckle out of hitting the drive thru in your sxs..
2nd.. love the new choices in music lol
3rd.. you're in canada.. where are the mooses???
Last year we did have mooses right in front of us not far from that lookout. But just got the camera 2 weeks ago lol.

The only reason I have those intrusion bars on the machine is for big game deflecting haha. Don't want a deer in the chest at 50mph really.

Any town which is on or near that main trail systems is ORV friendly. And the trail system is huge I think like 12000 miles in Ontario and then there's even more places you can go aside from that. At your own risk lol.

It does not go by "street legal" machines here. The towns and counties are allowed to make their own bylaws here regarding ORV's. And it brings tons of $ into the towns. So pretty much every town allows it. Even some highways but not all.

And the music, I have paid license to use those tunes. I subscribed to a couple sites that sell music licensing. The first video a couple weeks ago was free app music. I guess you get what you pay for lol.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Last year we did have mooses right in front of us not far from that lookout. But just got the camera 2 weeks ago lol.

The only reason I have those intrusion bars on the machine is for big game deflecting haha. Don't want a deer in the chest at 50mph really.

Any town which is on or near that main trail systems is ORV friendly. And the trail system is huge I think like 12000 miles in Ontario and then there's even more places you can go aside from that. At your own risk lol.

It does not go by "street legal" machines here. The towns and counties are allowed to make their own bylaws here regarding ORV's. And it brings tons of $ into the towns. So pretty much every town allows it. Even some highways but not all.

And the music, I have paid license to use those tunes. I subscribed to a couple sites that sell music licensing. The first video a couple weeks ago was free app music. I guess you get what you pay for lol.
that's awesome. barry's bay isn't that far of a drive (9 hours not including border crossing time).. you have some beautiful country there

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The town Whitney half way through my day is right on the southern border of Algonquin Park. You can't miss that on the map. But yeah if you're near the Canadian border in Michigan 9 hours sounds about right to the areas in that video. Towns are not super far apart by road. But we didn't exactly take a direct route there lol.

that's awesome. barry's bay isn't that far of a drive (9 hours not including border crossing time).. you have some beautiful country there

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a nice place to ride, you lucky mofo.
We are all lucky. Different is interesting. Arizona or Utah and places like that would be mindblowing to me.

Bigger louder faster on part 3 I'm working on now. Bit more dirty too lol. Bit of a different pace.

·
Registered
562 Posts
We are all lucky. Different is interesting. Arizona or Utah and places like that would be mindblowing to me.
Me too, I'm stuck in the middle of the country. lol, Missouri really doesn't have much for scenic rides and areas to ride are limited to "pay to ride parks". I have to travel to Arkansas to get on National Forest trails.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Me too, I'm stuck in the middle of the country. lol, Missouri really doesn't have much for scenic rides and areas to ride are limited to "pay to ride parks". I have to travel to Arkansas to get on National Forest trails.
I'm lucky enough to be on tge edge of all that country. But less than an hour east is flat boring muddy AF farm land.

Went there once last year. Once this year. Never again. Only north and west for me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Closest place to me is called Soggy Bottoms, never been and don’t plan to go. Most of the guys around here spend 99%+ of their time driving gravel roads and bragging about how many miles they are putting on their machines lol.
I have to drive a couple of hours to get to some decent riding, planning to go Oct 23. Plus it’s been too freaking hot for me to want to go for awhile now.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Would love to film in 2.7K or 4K but the file sizes would be absurd. 1 minute of 4K is almost a gig of data lol.
So what resolution did you shoot the videos in, 1080p? I ordered a DJI Osmo too, it should be here tomorrow along with the ND and Polarizing filters.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what resolution did you shoot the videos in, 1080p? I ordered a DJI Osmo too, it should be here tomorrow along with the ND and Polarizing filters.
That is all shot in 1080P 30FPS on auto settings. Your filters will allow you to use much better manual settings. I still haven't gotten to that point yet.

But something I did learn pretty quick is if you upload to YouTube in 1080 it will compress your file to hell and look brutal.

There's 2 codecs. If you click on the options of any video you watch and go to Stats for nerds. The codec will either be avc1 or VP9.

Av1 sucks ass and is given to small channels when uploaded in 1080P.

VP9 is given to large channels, or any video uploaded in 1440P and up.

So to work around that you need to render your 1080 video in 2560x1440P in editing. Then it will give you the much better VP9 codec.

Filming in 2.7K or 4K would be awesome, and you can. The only downside is MASSIVE file sizes to work with. Not practical for hours and hours of footage on a trip. And you better have a rockin' computer to deal with it. Plus upload times will be insane.

I picked up a pretty powerful gaming computer just to be able to do all this stuff. Did a bunch of research and picked up an Asus ROG Zephyrus 14. Has one of the fastest processors and graphics cards on the market right now.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
531 Posts
That is all shot in 1080P 30FPS on auto settings. Your filters will allow you to use much better manual settings. I still haven't gotten to that point yet.

But something I did learn pretty quick is if you upload to YouTube in 1080 it will compress your file to hell and look brutal.

There's 2 codecs. If you click on the options of any video you watch and go to Stats for nerds. The codec will either be avc1 or VP9.

So to work around that you need to render your 1080 video in 2560x1440P in editing. Then it will give you the much better VP9 codec.

Filming in 2.7K or 4K would be awesome, and you can. The only downside is MASSIVE file sizes to work with. Not practical for hours and hours of footage on a trip. And you better have a rockin' computer to deal with it. Plus upload times will be insane.

I picked up a pretty powerful gaming computer just to be able to do all this stuff. Did a bunch of research and picked up an Asus ROG Zephyrus 14. Has one of the fastest processors and graphics cards on the market right now.
Nerd lol, nicely thought out and diggin it...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Yeah I learned the hard way too with YouTube. Did a lot of Google searches and watch a few YouTube videos on export settings for Final Cut Pro! I already have a couple of terabit hard drives on the desktop, looks like I will be purchasing a 10T external HD soon. lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Nice video, looks like a great place to ride. One would think all places that thrive on off roaders would be orv friendly, like moab, unless you are street legal and plated you're shit out of luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts