Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with mounting speakers in behind the stock dash grilles? Can you just bolt up a small 3.5 - 4" speaker in behind there, or does it require some special mounting hardware kit or something like that? I'd like to get some small 2-way speakers on a budget, but I'm not sure if it's possible without spending a ton on some special pre-formed speaker pods or mounts.

I can see up under the driver's side where it looks like the OEM speaker grille and blanking plate are held on by some metal clips, but I wasn't sure once those are removed if there's some way to just mount up speakers with screws and such. Seems like just bolting a speaker under there wouldn't be too sturdy though, especially considering the abuse they'd likely take out on the trail. But, if someone has done the install and has any info/experience with it, that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ssv makes the pods that utilize the grill and pre marked dimples on the cover but may not be budget friendly. Great sound though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
What’s your budget? A sound bar is the easiest. They are pretty reasonable these days

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ssv makes some that fit in there. I have fosgate 6.5’s with fosgate formed panels that replace the stock ones so the bigger speakers fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What’s your budget? A sound bar is the easiest. They are pretty reasonable these days
Honestly, I was trying to stay under $100 bucks for a set of speakers for up there. I already have a Bluetooth head unit and a couple of tower speakers, and my amp has a couple of channels still free for additional speakers, so I figured why not just plop a couple of 2-ways in the dash to round out the sound a bit more. From what I'm seeing online, I should be able to get a set of okay sounding 4" round 2-ways for that price range (nothing fancy, just something to get a little more sound up front). What kills me is that setup from SSV runs about $300 bucks, and I'm pretty sure that the Kicker speakers aren't anywhere near that expensive, so what you're really paying for is the mounting solution. My thought was to just get a pair of 4" speakers and fabricate a mount (i.e. a bracket for behind the speakers) somehow. Not sure if the space under the dash would permit that though - the special SSV mounting solution looks like it consists of a molding/frame that screws into the top of the dash and goes into holes that are formed into the frames/surrounds of the speakers (which I'm sure is how they justify the $300 pricetag).

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I gotcha didn’t realize you already had everything else. I would imagine you could buy a set of speakers and bolt them through the plastic and it would hold pretty dang good. On the cheap

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good - I went ahead and ordered a set of 4" speakers from Amazon, we'll see how it goes. Worst case, I can just return the speakers and get a refund if it just doesn't work.

I may try to fabricate a support bracket to fit behind the speaker, but we'll see what kind of space is back there. Also, I haven't actually seen or held the speakers in my hand yet, so who knows, they may end up being small and light enough where they don't need any additional support. We'll also see how they sound - they're the Rockford Fosgate P142 Punch's, and they get good reviews for the sound quality, so I have high hopes they'll be worth it. I'm not expecting miracles from such a small speaker, just hoping to fill out the sound a bit in the front of the cab. Plus my amp has two channels just sitting idle right now, so I may as well put them to use.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Be sure to put the speakers in some type of enclose, even if it's a cut down milk jug stuffed with fiberglass insulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts