Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues with the digital dash in the new 2020 X3's? The display in the dash of my friend's car will freeze upon transmitting on the radio. You have to cycle the ignition on/off to get the display to return to normal. If you transmit again, it will freeze again. Husband and wife have two exact same X3's with the identical radio, intercom and antenna setup. One works fine and the other glitches. The entire radio and antenna wiring were redone/rerouted with no improvement. I'm assuming its a shielding issue with the dash or it's wiring, as I have not heard of anyone else having this problem. The radio is a high quality, 55 watt, PCI ICOM unit. Anyone else experiencing this with a 2020 car or have any theories?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean... It sounds like a wiring issue. I can't see shielding causing that.
The radio and intercom are wired directly to the battery in both installations. The dash communicates with the ECU via the CAN bus system and does not share any common wiring. It appears to be a reaction of the dash to the RF emitted by the radio. Just never seen it happen before and the other car works perfectly. I'm sure there are lots of radio installations in 2020 Can Am X3's.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Check for voltage drop across the battery when they key the mic. Possibly a charging system issue?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked previously, and it is not a voltage drop issue. Gauge does not go off, the display just freezes. 800 miles on the car, some at night with lights, you can monitor the voltage on the Lowrance, not a charging issue.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I bet it’s RF radiating from the coax going to your antenna. Make sure the coax doesn’t run near other wiring in your car. The dash communicates with wires running in your harness so a rule to live by is never run your coax parallel to other cables and if it must cross other wiring it should be perpendicular to the other wiring. You may get by rerouting the antenna coax slightly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet it’s RF radiating from the coax going to your antenna. Make sure the coax doesn’t run near other wiring in your car. The dash communicates with wires running in your harness so a rule to live by is never run your coax parallel to other cables and if it must cross other wiring it should be perpendicular to the other wiring. You may get by rerouting the antenna coax slightly.
I'll bet your right, but it seems unusual to me. Coax currently is tied away for the dash wiring, but runs down the center tunnel and up the driver side B pillar. Going to try another reroute to see if that makes a difference. Still weird because the other car has no problem, and nobody else on here seems to be experiencing it.

Oh, and there is no extra coax coiled up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have seen this happen on a honda talon. We replaced the antenna and mount and it went away for a long time, then it happened again on a ride, and we unscrewed the antenna a little and it never happened again.

The issue we had was when push to talk was used the car would die and all electronics would flip out.

In trying to figure it out we replaced and rerouted most of the cables trying to isolate the issue. At one point we had the antenna cable out of the car moving it around trying to find a route that did not cause the issue, and somehow we figured it was an issue with the antenna.

I think we had a 1/4 wave no ground plane antenna and rugged sent us a different antenna but I am not sure if it was the same

1 - 9 of 9 Posts