Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Dalton kit for mav installed, works as advertised, then belt blew up

10K views 74 replies 14 participants last post by  st222 
#1 · (Edited)
Dalton kit for mav installed, works as advertised, then belt blew up UPDATED 1ST POST

8/19/13 update at bottom

Had World of Powersports in Decatur, IL do my recall stuff, clutch bolt/grab handle/starter and while they were in there I had them install the Dalton clutch kit with the supplied spring, purchased from hunterworks, and a brand new factory 212 belt.

I picked it up today, drove it 1/4 of a mile at their place, seemed fine, but smelled a bit of belt....

unloaded it and drove it nice and easy for a bit, varying the rpm as I was told to do, still smelled a bit of rubber, but again, didn't think anything of it

Finally unloaded on it, shot a video of the rpm so that everyone could see how great it was (see below), that all went fine, then putting back home 2 miles later the belt let go. I put it back in the trailer and am going to take it back to them Monday, but I assume it'll be a fight...I supplied the brand new factory belt (bought from a dealer online) and I supplied an aftermarket clutch kit, and now my belt let go. I can't see them fixing this, or even taking any responsibility at all.

What do you think happened, folks?

I was at the dealer when they opened this am and they immediately apologized and agreed to pull it apart while I waited. It took about 20 minutes and then we saw the damage, the secondary bolt backed out and let the secondary slide off, through the cover and tore up the belt, the helix and of course the cover. The big parts were intact though.

They said they'd unbox a new recall kit, use the secondary bolt from it, and go pull a brand new maverick out of the crate and pull the helix, cover and belt out of it for me. They proceeded to do this, but found out that the 14's have an updated clutch cover that has an additional vent on it, just in the middle of the secondary area. Interesting. They then uncrated a leftover 13, stole the parts, installed them and sent me on my way.

The only issue, and potentially a big one, is that they did not have the tool to lock the secondary to torque it correctly (15 ft/lbs + 180degrees), he could only get it 45 degrees and then stuck the impact on it had me watch to be sure it moved the appropriate amount. I DID NOT LIKE THIS, and told him that, but it was apparently as good as it was going to get, and it appeared to move the right amount, plus they used red Loctite as well. I made sure to mention this to the service manager and he wanted me to drive it as soon as I got home and let him know.

The problem is that I'm 1:45 each way from them, so it's $80 worth of fuel and a huge PITA to take it back...so I hope this does it. Pics below.

Thanks for all the help and advice, folks.

JC

See less See more
1 3
#2 ·
I wonder if everything was lined up properly because it was burning the belt from the beginning.

#4 · (Edited)
Then that's it. Because the secondary has to fit into some slots so it will be in line with the primary. I bet if you look at it, you will notice it's not straight in line with each other.

#5 ·
The whole point of having them do it was that I didn't want to take it apart lol.

I'm not sure what I want to do.... But if it is that, I sure would like a new belt out of the deal, at least. Not to mention fuel costs for the 3+ hrs Roundtrip....

I'm probably screwed. Lol

#12 ·
when u floored it your rpm only goes to 7300 7400 7500 , doesn't go to 8000 and stay there like the other guy mentioned , so I wonder if something is dragging ?

#15 ·
ya peak power is 7850 - I just thought the other guys vid went straight to 8k with Dalton so I figured that's whats they all did , but yes ,lil lower rpm then 8k is perfect

#16 ·
I guess I've decided to take it apart myself, take pics of every step, and see what I find. If it isn't misaligned.... Then I dunno, but if I find it misaligned or just plain broken, I guess I'll be at their door at 9am when they open Monday. :/

#17 ·
If you want any chance of them covering this, i would not crack it open and let the dealer…...

#19 ·
I'm not having any problems since my dalton kit. No belt smell at all and mine goes to 7750 7800 7900 for a little bit then 8000 after the clutches have already done there thing. I would say mines working exactly how it should. I think ur dealer screwed something up!!

#20 ·
The thing about letting them break it open is that it's unlikely they are just going to jump right on it, so it's not like I can watch them do it, which would allow for them to say it was anything.... Not sure they would, but not sure they wouldn't... First time doing business with them.

#24 ·
Take it in and raise a little hell to force them to work on it right away. If you crack those bolts you have no hope to get them to stand behind it. What if you find a lot more wrong inside? Can't risk it in my opinion. Bring it in and make them get to work on it immediately....well try to. Call BRP as well.

#26 ·
You try to get them to verify the secondary was installed correctly. Use a straight edge or measure distance from the engine case. A lot of dealers don't have Mav knowledgeable mechanics so they could have easily installed it incorrectly. No way the belt should break that fast no matter what, if everything was installed correctly.

#28 ·
u didn't happen to get a pic of the updated clutch cover with the vent hole in it did u ?

was it just a open hole or was it ducted?

#32 ·
He updated his original post and added pictures...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.