Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when I put heavier tires on my maverick ,blackwater evoulutions 28x11x14 28x9x14 I gained around 40 lbs over stock bighorns and rims. so I purchased a Dalton kit and black violet spring from hunterworks. I started out with the middle weight rivet weights and black violet spring.bottom end improved but it would top out at 67 mph .I talked to todd and he suggested going with empty arms and yellow black secondary spring .I did that and no change on the top end so I went with the heaviest weight rivets and back to black violet secondary spring .this combination was the best feeling down low and mid range but still no change on top end the best I would see was maybe 67 mph.the rpms stayed right at 8000 to 7950.a few weekends ago with new tires and no clutch work I saw 76 mph on blacktop but the low end was lacking.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
try it with a gps but heavier tires will slow u down but I couldn't see 28's slowing u down that much

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
sorry I rushed thru ur post so u did a run with the new tires and all stock clutch parts and it hit 76

with the new kit its only hitting 67

ok so u have to light of weights or to much spring clamping force, swap both them to heavier weight and lighter spring see what happens

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Just remove the Dalton stuff and put it back to stock, I bet you find out something else happen to cause this at same time. Typically clutching will not affect top speed.

Were you at 76 with those 28's before kit?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Just remove the Dalton stuff and put it back to stock, I bet you find out something else happen to cause this at same time. Typically clutching will not affect top speed.

Were you at 76 with those 28's before kit?
he said yes

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok went back to stock set-up and still have lost speed on the top one week-end I went 76 on the blacktop now I am only seeing 67 .the rpms are right up there at 7950 to 8000.could I have bad gas ,all summer I have just added to top off my tank every weekend ?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Computer compensates for air conditions with having fuel injection. Sounds like bad gas. I know you will lose performance with low quality fuel. Not sure about top speed. May be clutching somewhere. Did you check your belt width? How many mies on current belt?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have 300 miles on belt i am going to start with draining gas i filled up in may and have added to it when i go riding also i had a brand new gates belt on and had same issue

·
Vendor
594 Posts
ok went back to stock set-up and still have lost speed on the top one week-end I went 76 on the blacktop now I am only seeing 67 .the rpms are right up there at 7950 to 8000.could I have bad gas ,all summer I have just added to top off my tank every weekend ?
I would be looking at some kind of limitation in the clutches meaning the belt is not traveling as it should since you are getting the RPM and not the speed. Also, what about putting your stock tires on there and rerunning it?

I am just glad it is not the Dalton which I knew it could not be.

We will get you figured out then put tires and kit back on.

Also, did you turn off sport mode by accident?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Or maybe it could be as simple as if your looking at your gauge on the maverick you do realize bigger tires will chang your spedo. Just like a truck when you lift it and do not re calibrate your spedo is off as well. I would try getting a gps before you do much digging. Unless you already are using a gps

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright drained gas put in some new 93 and I am back 70 71 mph
kroth I saw 76 mph with these tires and stock clutching

1 - 18 of 18 Posts