Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey Todd, I don't want this question to sound stupid. I am a experienced racer of 43 years, you name it, Nascar Trucks, Quads, Motocross, Three Wheelers, Late model Dirt Cars, I've raced them. I have been racing my Maverick some and lined up against every Clutch Combo that I've heard about, so far no losses to the first turn no matter what kind of track that we are running, not getting pulled down the back straight away either. I'm currently running stock everything on a standard model. My question, because there are so many items that I want on my list before the clutch. So this is not on the top of my list. I've had all the upgrades from my dealer. I know at anytime it could explode. I'm really hard on it, but my fingers are crossed so far. What are my gains from your clutch kit since I'm running stock tires etc. I know eventually I will end up with a Rage or QSM I guess, there are so many options. Bottom line, will your Kit help me or not, and what will I gain from it? I also ride up in WV trail riding a lot. Please help. Thx. Steve

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Todd, I don't want this question to sound stupid. I am a experienced racer of 43 years, you name it, Nascar Trucks, Quads, Motocross, Three Wheelers, Late model Dirt Cars, I've raced them. I have been racing my Maverick some and lined up against every Clutch Combo that I've heard about, so far no losses to the first turn no matter what kind of track that we are running, not getting pulled down the back straight away either. I'm currently running stock everything on a standard model. My question, because there are so many items that I want on my list before the clutch. So this is not on the top of my list. I've had all the upgrades from my dealer. I know at anytime it could explode. I'm really hard on it, but my fingers are crossed so far. What are my gains from your clutch kit since I'm running stock tires etc. I know eventually I will end up with a Rage or QSM I guess, there are so many options. Bottom line, will your Kit help me or not, and what will I gain from it? I also ride up in WV trail riding a lot. Please help. Thx. Steve
If you will go get on your maverick and floor it, you will notice the rpm goes up to around 7800-7900 then drops to as low as 7300 to 7500, it does not hold. In a stock machine the Dalton stops this and holds it where it is supposed to be. This can only mean quicker acceleration. If you change tires lighter or heavier bigger or smaller you would need it to recalibrate it back to where it should be.

I won't knock those other clutches, I just am not convinced of the need and have had several guys call me and say they were going back to stock with a Dalton due to wanting more engine braking and too hard to set up. That may or may not be a legitimate reason but it is what they are doing.

I say if you torque your stock stuff correctly, have the stud and this kit, you will be fine for most applications

Todd

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the Info. So you are saying that once it hits 7800 or 7900 your clutch kit will hold those RPM's If so that will be worth it, especially for your price.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Info. So you are saying that once it hits 7800 or 7900 your clutch kit will hold those RPM's If so that will be worth it, especially for your price.
That is correct. Two reasons to buy a Dalton for a Maverick, one it will make it hold rpm like it should from factory and two if you changed tires etc to get the RPM where you want it plus if you go real big a stiffer secondary spring. So in my opinion, anyone with a Maverick needs one regardless of what he has as long as he has a stock primary.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
We Just bought 4 2014 Maverick Max Models and 2 of them rev right up to 7950 rpm and hold it steady and they don't Back down. My Bike goes to 7800 since I Lightly scotch brighted the Clutch Faces and It holds it right there to.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We Just bought 4 2014 Maverick Max Models and 2 of them rev right up to 7950 rpm and hold it steady and they don't Back down. My Bike goes to 7800 since I Lightly scotch brighted the Clutch Faces and It holds it right there to.
Max is clutched different from Can Am, we are talking about a two seater. Dalton does not have a max kit as of yet. The two seater one can't be used in max.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Max is clutched different from Can Am, we are talking about a two seater. Dalton does not have a max kit as of yet. The two seater one can't be used in max.
Todd,

Has anyone really confirmed this to be the case since the parts manuals have all of the same part numbers for the springs weights etc...between the models.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todd,

Has anyone really confirmed this to be the case since the parts manuals have all of the same part numbers for the springs weights etc...between the models.
Just cause the factory may use the same does not mean Dalton will. Dalton told me no kits for max until he checks them out himself. I do know at least the set up will be different

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Just cause the factory may use the same does not mean Dalton will. Dalton told me no kits for max until he checks them out himself. I do know at least the set up will be different
I agree.....I think they should be different. Which amazes me that the MAX runs so well when it supposedly has the same setup as the 2 seater......just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
what kinda belt life guys getting with that combo, I will be running stock tires until I wear them out and do woods riding mostly in low range, also would like to be able to tow a utility trailer around yard without to much concern my belt will burn up. BTW todd helped me out greatly with my teryx, I had the Dalton kit in that and liked it but ran oem belt, they were not that expensive for teryx but these oem mav belts are $$$$, need to find a more economical alternative that holds up for 1000mls.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what kinda belt life guys getting with that combo, I will be running stock tires until I wear them out and do woods riding mostly in low range, also would like to be able to tow a utility trailer around yard without to much concern my belt will burn up. BTW todd helped me out greatly with my teryx, I had the Dalton kit in that and liked it but ran oem belt, they were not that expensive for teryx but these oem mav belts are $$$$, need to find a more economical alternative that holds up for 1000mls.
To my knowledge no one has wore one out yet, not been around that long. My way of looking at this belt is, if stock one is lasting this one will, if stock one is burning up this one will because you are doing something you should not or you have a something going on. We have sold over 700 of these belts since April and no complaints. yes people have burned them up and yes people have broken them but the same people are doing it to the stock belt which goes back to what you are doing and what you have. To my knowledge no one has had a issue with the quality of the belt and the price is right. Call me on that.

Todd
601-771-0070

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have aftermarket clutches but am running the C12 belt and it has held up well so far with only 200 miles or so on it. It looks like new and has not stretched or gotten any narrower since it was first installed.....

Reactions: eez
1 - 20 of 20 Posts