Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i installed my clutch kit and went for a ride today....first thing I noticed is it picked the wheels up a foot from a dead stop, that was kinda neat. but after that not so good, ive lost the ability to spin/ kick the ass out whenever I wanted like it did from stock. my buddy stock maverick beat me in a drag race, (not off the start, but pulled around me after 300ft). I think I will be taking it out of my buggy and try to sell. unless some clutch guys have some insight.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
that's good to know - sounds like they made the spring lil to tight giving u off the line power but losing top end , did u get the right kit for your tires and elevation ?

when ur going 50 mph and FLOOR it what are your RPM's ?

thx

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to know - sounds like they made the spring lil to tight giving u off the line power but losing top end , did u get the right kit for your tires and elevation ?

when ur going 50 mph and FLOOR it what are your RPM's ?

thx

it s got power off the line ,but in stock form if I was going 50 and floor it, I would go sideways which I loved, it does not do that now, now I really have to try to make it drift in a corner. I think the clamping force is right but possibly the shifting is wrong, going 50 with the kit in and floor it rpm goes to 7850 ish I think.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and yes I got the right kit, stock tires 0-4000 elvation. yellow secondary spring and aluminium .85 weight rivots, that's what the instructions said to put in.
what controls the so called shifting of the belt? iam assuming that's the problem. I miss the unpredictability of when u floor it :(

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
it s got power off the line ,but in stock form if I was going 50 and floor it, I would go sideways which I loved, it does not do that now, now I really have to try to make it drift in a corner. I think the clamping force is right but possibly the shifting is wrong, going 50 with the kit in and floor it rpm goes to 7850 ish I think.
the biggest thing about the clutch kit I guess is now when u floor it it suppose to go to 7800-8000 stock people were only seeing 7300 including me , but like u say I can be doing 50 punch it and slide and that's my favorite part about the bike so im glade u posted ur results ill keep stock !

now going up long hill u will pull better by keeping ur rpms up

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres gotta be a way to get the crazy back in her with this clutch kit...it Is adjustable. but I really don't know enough about it

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hopefully some clutch guys will chime in and help a fellow out! If not there will be a Dalton clutch kit for sale VERY soon. :disappointed:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
theres gotta be a way to get the crazy back in her with this clutch kit...it Is adjustable. but I really don't know enough about it
did u just do the spring or weights to

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
hopefully some clutch guys will chime in and help a fellow out! If not there will be a Dalton clutch kit for sale VERY soon. :disappointed:
did you contact Dalton directly? They are typically very helpful and willing to listen to your problem and suggest what to do....

·
Registered
244 Posts
yup you can e mail dale at Dalton and he will call u back I used there kit and was very happy I have some bigger tires I ended up using no rivets and the yello and red spring.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I put this same clutch kit in mine. I have not tried it out yet, but suspect I may have lost some top end as well. So, this news is a bit disturbing! Did the mod to hopefully save the belt while duning. Very interested in finding out if there is a correction that will get the top end back! I think aftermarket clutching is in my future!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I will call them monday. They are actually based 45 min from me. In truro novascotia canada
Please immediately post your findings. I am very interested in what their response is and what possible adjustments can be made.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did the Dalton kit a couple months ago and lost about 5 mph on the top end. It seems to pull better in the mid range but something is going on with there setup. I bought it from Todd at Hunterworks and he is a great guy but can't give a answer as to the loss in the top end. I am at 4000' also so maybe Dalton needs to look into there settings for this. I will call Dalton and get there advise on this, something is not correct in this setup.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I did the Dalton kit a couple months and lost about 5 mph on the top end. It seems to pull better in the mid range but something is going on with there setup. I bought it from Todd at Hunterworks and he is a great guy but can't give a answer as to the loss in the top end. I am at 4000' also so maybe Dalton needs to look into there settings for this. I will call Dalton and get there advise on this, something is not correct in this setup.
Yes, I agree. I thought properly set up clutching wouldn't lose top end once full shift out occurred. Maybe with that heavier spring the secondary now doesn't shift out all the way? I think their calibration must be off. I'm kinda disappointed so far with mine, and frankly ready to put it back to stock until I can swing getting a full performance clutch set.
Again, let us know what you find out from Dalton. (I was thinking of calling them too).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I agree. I thought properly set up clutching wouldn't lose top end once full shift out occurred. Maybe with that heavier spring the secondary now doesn't shift out all the way? I think their calibration must be off. I'm kinda disappointed so far with mine, and frankly ready to put it back to stock until I can swing getting a full performance clutch set.
Again, let us know what you find out from Dalton. (I was thinking of calling them too).
will do iam gonna call them tormorrow and see if I can get to the bottom of this,, don't like wasteing 250 bucks....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would say at this point the 250.00 was not worth it. If Dalton cannot come up with a fix then a aftermarket clutch is going in. Mine will run 72 mph at 8000PRM so rpm is not the problem.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts