Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, last February my primary bolt broke and took out the entire CVT system. I ordered a CVtech from ///airdam and the dealer put it on for me and handed me a brand-new primary in the box to take home. It worked good at first, but lately my TopSpeed has been going down and my RPMs have been getting lower and lower going up tall hills. I've come to believe that only installing the primary and leaving the stock secondary on must've been a mistake. The stock secondary doesn't backshift very well, which causes very high temperatures and ruins belts and also melted the plastic or nylon sliders inside my primary. The primary lately hasn't been shifting out all the way. With it in neutral and revving it up the belt did not stick out of the primary. That's why was losing 10 mph TopSpeed. And all of that seems to go back to two much heat melting the sliders and then not getting full shift out. Adam, or ///AIRDAM, nice guy that he is is actually sending the new sliders for free! He may be a little hard to get a hold of, but who else in this industry would do that! Anyways I also bought an STM secondary from him which will be here this week. So in the meantime I wanted to ride last weekend so I had a friend put my brand-new stock primary on a lathe and take a little bit of a cut on the two tapers that mesh the outer half to the inner half oh the primary. I then spent approximately 30 minutes with course lapping compound and lapped the two halves together. I put The inner half on the motor, started it and let it idle, while I held the outer half with lapping compound up against it to lap them in. I then installed the recall stud kit, torqued down to 95 pounds, and then took it out for three 0 to 50 mile-per-hour runs down the blacktop. I had put a white paint mark on the inner half of the primary, the outer half, and the nut. Well it slipped quite a bit that first time. So I then put some more torque on it to about 100 pounds. Wiped off the paint and applied more paint. Took it out on the street and did three more runs. It slipped some more again, too much for my taste. I then hit it with my half inch impact that's good for a hair over 100 pounds of torque. The nut turned a little bit, and then I checked with my torque wrench and it was about 110 pounds of torque. I wiped the paint marks off again, apply another paint Mark, and took it out for four runs down the blacktop. Brought it back in the shop and this time the outer half only rotated about 2°. Well I was happy with that. I went out to Glamis the next day and then superstition the day after, and then yesterday I pulled the cover off to inspect it and the outer half only rotated maybe another 2°. Pretty darn good I would say. So the two morals of the story is the stock secondary sucks. Or at least I've been told that and I will find out for sure New Year's week when I run it with the STM secondary. Going to try it with the stock primary first and the STM secondary. Then after that I can put the CVTech back on it and then compare my belt temperature between the two systems. And the other thing I learned is pretty much what Todd from Hunter works has been saying about torquing it down, taking it for a drive, and then retorquing it. But better yet is do what I did and torque it, put paint marks and go run hard a couple times. And then keep torquing it down until that outer half doesn't move anymore.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
nice write up...but I have a question when you say it was slipping.....were you referring to the nut was slipping in reference to the marking on the inner(fixed) sheave or the outer sheave was slipping in reference to the marking on the inner(fixed) sheave? Mine basically did the same thing as I ran mine for a few days while I was getting a 2 way bearing put in my QSC primary. I san it a few times and re-torqued it because the inner sheave will fully seat itself on the crankshaft. However, I didn't notice my stud/nut slipping in reference to the inner sheave but the outer sheave did. But after a few rides and checking it, it eventually stayed in the same place the remainder of the 2 days.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
slipping he means the 2 piece primary was slipping a lil

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the nut and stud stayed put. The outer half of the primary is the one that slipped a little bit. But it was only 4 or 5° total in two days, which is nothing really. My first stock primary was doing circle after Circle, which then over tightened the primary bolt, which then broke and blew everything apart.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
OK, good.....that is why I was wanting to hear. Yea my bolt/nut never moved, just the outer sheave ever so slightly....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice write up Steve. It will be interesting to see if you notice any difference with the STM secondary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the updates and info!

Just noticed a need for improvement in the CDL. It would be nice to be able to set the sample rate to be lower than 1Hz in some cases. For example on some long term temperature measurement cases we sample every 15 minutes and it isn't possible (without modifying the original CDL API) to set the sample rate to that value in the current CDL.

Hope you could take this into account when you have time to work with the CDL update.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wtf?????????

·
Registered
791 Posts
Interesting. Apparently endurance racers have been having success with the stock primary and STM secondary.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. Apparently endurance racers have been having success with the stock primary and STM secondary.
Yup! That's what I'd like to do as long as the stock primary doesn't slip. I love the shift out of the stock one, and the durability. So I'm real curious to see the temps with the stock/STM setup!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
They start out at $500 on their website, and go up depending on the options you get. I got up to about $650 after adding options. I'm thinking of going this route with stock primary, would like to hear from more people who have went this way. I have a 14 Xxc.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The STM secondary should be $575 plus shipping at most places. I'll post up my thoughts on the stock/STM set up either the week of New Year's or right after.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
The STM secondary should be $575 plus shipping at most places. I'll post up my thoughts on the stock/STM set up either the week of New Year's or right after.
if I do anything it would be this stock/stm -im real interested in ur thoughts and out come !

here is sum info

photo.jpg

1 - 20 of 67 Posts