Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Maverick4me2, your setup does look like it works well, my biggest concern was the 15a draw from the fan motor, but i've seen this post quite a few times and was curious which way the air is blowing, it should be an intake, but it looks (from the way the motor is mounted), that it is pulling air out of the clutch box. I like to research all options.
Nope, this is setup to blow/force/pressurize air into the clutch housing. Look at the first two pics, the one of the actual fan, and the one of the complete system. You will see the air flow is correct, just removed the air filter and hooked up to the hose. I actually purchased a wind velocity meter and tested (with help from a friend) the air flow coming out of the clutch exhaust. Tested stock, and with my cooler system. I have CFM results somewhere, but cant seem to locate. (Moved on to an X3, so kinda didn't mater as much) I do remember that there was a large gain up to I believe it was 5000 rpm, then it pretty much evened out. Most benefit was going down hill after climbing long steep climbs on the dunes, dropped belt temp 20+ degrees by the time I got to the bottom. After testing came to the realization that the final intake pipe that connects to the front of the clutch cover just had to much restriction to gain any extra air flow regardless of the CFM being delivered in my opinion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maverick4me2, I think i'm confusing you, i understand your setup exactly as you described in our emails the other day, and it looks like a great solution. My question was which way the air was flowing on the AVID OFFROAD RACING blower picture from this thread that is mounted on the secondary clutch, it appears that he is exhausting air (from the direction of the fan in his picture), on an intake port, i was wanting him to clear that up. i ended up building this one for now that is blowing into the secondary clutch since i had the parts on hand, testing outcome tomorrow:

Auto part Vehicle
Auto part

·
Registered
177 Posts
So update as requested, i did an an 80 miles doing average of 65-75 mph through all types of conditions, whoops, sand, and balls out straights, and belt stayed around 155-165 degrees. the highest i reached was 173 degrees on about a 30 deg incline through sand on a power line road. When i stop it only takes about 4 minutes to cool the belt to the teens range. So i am happy with the results by adding the heat shield and 3" blower, my temps are staying in the do-able range. I may wrap the driver side header pipe to help with heat buildup, but so are what i've done seems to be working great.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts