Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 4" blower off eBay, and a 3"x2" abs reducer, a few hose clamps, and a rubber rain gutter reducer coupler from Lowe's. I then bent a piece of 2" strap to hold it in place. I wired it to a switched wire that is plugged into a dummy plug right next to the fuse box. It has red and black wires just like the plug behind the dash and the one somewhere by the rear firewall. When the key is on, so is the fan.
When I turned the key on to check that it was blowing the rite direction, it wasn't, or so I thought. I turned the key off and watched the blade spin down. It was turning correct. So I started the motor, and at idle it was still blowing air out the inlet due to the reducer. But as soon as I revved the motor up, it started doing its job.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
i was always told to pull hot air out of things not push air in. Something about flow and obstructions that you will get hot spots. I dont know for sure buts thats what i was told.

we almost need a temp probe in there like a pyro gauge in a truck.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of the problem with the stock setup is that the curves and neck downs in the cvt intake tract make it hard for the cvt to pull air in. This puts positive pressure on the system, allowing the cvt to pull in a lot more air, I think. If a home a/c system doesn't cool one room properly, the easiest thing to do is install a helper fan inline in the ducting going to that room. This reminds me of that situation. The Commander peeps have been wrapping the exhaust and installing this fan setup for years, and say they have good results.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw a post on the Commander forum where a guy put a water temperature gauge in with the sensor plumbed into the cvt exhaust tube to monitor how hot the air was exiting the cvt.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
We use fans on the XP's to blow into the belt housing. Ill probably do the same thing when I get mine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a water temp probe installed in my cvt housing's exhaust snorkel. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you looked at cvt outlet side it has a u shape in it, on my commander I wrapped exhaust put heat shielding on cvt cover and cut the outlet to give it a straight shotout. 1350 miles and belt was like new.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea mines snorkeled to the roof already thats why I didn't know if putting this under dash and going in river or pond would it leak in threw wire connector or does it seem pretty water proof?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yea mines snorkeled to the roof already thats why I didn't know if putting this under dash and going in river or pond would it leak in threw wire connector or does it seem pretty water proof?
Plasti-dip the entire outside of the fan. Use the spray can though after u install it in the snorkel

·
Registered
189 Posts
Glamis, even though it seemed to be turning in the wright direction, would it be possible that its a directional blade on the fan. and that the fans polarity is reversed and that why it wouldn't be pushing the air as well as it should be? Just something that came to mind when looking at the blade in your pic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A blower in line painted black. I found this awhile back on the commander forum. The only thing is I remember him saying it was a little loud.

If it can't play, it can't stay!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything is as it should be. It's just because of the reducer. As soon as you rev it up a little, it works as intended.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the 4" blower and a temp gauge on my commander, and I'll be removing it and installing it on my Maverick. I dune and trail ride with it, and it makes a difference. I'll pull up some picture off my camera.
When the blower on without the engine, it not to loud. I have mine installed where the CVT intake and filter screen is. You can put your hand over the CVT exhaust and feel the air coming out. It's not crazy fast but it does move the air. When I stop I let the blower run for a minute or two to push the builtup hot air out of the CVT area. Also I can see the temp going down on the digital gauge. The gauge is rated at -0-240degrees. The prob I drilled into back of the CVT cover and mounted it between primery and scondary clutch. While duning with the blower, I haven't temp over 200 to many times, I'm around the 180-190+ dunning, and 130-160 trails. But without the blower over 200, and that's because I'v forgot to turn on the blower.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mmm I like the CCTV blower idea and must say the snorkel blower looks like the neatest install.....

Any other options for blower installs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
528 Posts
here's how we did it on our race Maverick.. of course your application will be different- but according to BRP racing dept...this is the most effective way to get cooler air "blown" into the CVT area...sucking the air according to them is nowhere as effeciant. We run a remote temp gauge on the dash and a custom CVT fan switch from UTV inc..

dash 1.jpg

088.jpg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts