Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a ton of clutch posts, not sure what I want to do. I can't afford to do the whole $1500 thing right now. Will I be happy with just the Dalton kit or should I go for the CV Tech primary for 2X as much at $700? I have a 14 Xxc, and have smelled the belt on a couple of long hill climbs, so I know the belt is slipping. My buddy also just bought an XP1000, so I want to beat him too!! I don't like tuning, would rather be riding, I can do it, just don't enjoy it. For the money, what's my best investment without going all in. I may eventually upgrade my secondary also, but I do like my engine braking. Let me know, especially if you have real world experience with the different options. Any problems with the Gates belts? Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
You know someone will post "do a search on the Topic" however I have to agree I think sometimes I do a search & with all the info by the time I'm done reading I'm more confused that when I started...I too don't want to put 1500+ into a clutch rather put it in the fuel tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The CVTech was actually the 1st mod I did to my Maverick. That along with a Dalton secondary spring gave me marginal at best performance gains, BUT the reliability was worth every penny.

Edit: the CVTech coupled with an STM secondary (and a bit of clutch tuning) works pretty damn good, and has a definitly noticable performance gain.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You can do a couple things to your stock clutch very cheap.

EPI red spring for the secondary with increase belt tension. It's like $30.

Then save your pennies until you can get an STM or QSC

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
If you don't want to spend the cash for aftermarket clutches, WVXRS is correct. The EPI red, or the Dalton violet/black secondary spring will help with the back shifting.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anything cheap on the primary? What about the Dalton kit, everybody happy with it? Can I beat an XP 1000 with it?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Probably won't beat the xp1k with just a kit but I don't personally know. I have a QSC and a gates belt and I have narrowed it down to the belt being noisy after it heats up. Also have smelled it slipping when under slow high load situations. Can Am has a new belt out for the XMR that I will try next.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
A full stm rage 6 setup when tuned properly will put down 10 hp to the rear wheels because it is that much more efficient than a stock clutch. The xp1k is yours after that.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
10 hp Below the curve not overall I Don't want you to think your 72rwhp Mav will put down 82rhwp with just changing the clutches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the stock clutches with Dalton Kit. Seems to have more snap off the bottom, no more RPM surge, and can be tuned to match bigger tires if I choose so. I have the gates belt as a back up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats what some people say, But is that b/c they read it on a forum? Or is it personal experience? My personal experience is they last just as good or close to, for half the price, Untill you get them wet. I have shreaded 1 stock belt and burnt (just a little) one XTX dayco in 5 years of hard riding. Both were b/c of water. But take it as you want, that is just my personal experience. Another thing I have often wondered about belts is when a guy posts that he blew a stocker, then put on a aftermarket and it went on this first ride. What was the reason for the stocker going? Probably/possibly water. Was the problem fixed before the aftermarket was put on? If it was water and the problem wasnt fixed that would explain why the after market belt is a POS, would it not? Sorry for the sarcasm at the end. Just some thoughts on the subject.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts