Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was just letting you guys know and also get some input on these parts. Specifically I am trying to make sure that I don't run into any problems with this again. Last weekend I went for a little ride (as in maybe 2000 ft in the desert and less than 1/2 mile total) and found myself sitting on three wheels and the fourth wheel about 50 ft to the left. I am not sure what the part is called, but on can-am's schematic it is called a cv. The part that I am talking about is the one that goes through the spindle and bolts to the hub. The cv ? was sheared off right at the spindle. Is this common? Is there something that I can do to ensure that I don't have this problem again? What are your experiences. My dealer is replacing everything under warranty so not a huge deal right now, but I can't imagine being miles out in the desert and having this issue. I attached some picture so that you can see better.

20131109_182048.jpg 1384052890321.jpg 1384052916508.jpg

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think the part your talking about is the stub axle. If you didn't hit anything I hope it's just a rare break because I don't think it's a common problem (that I know of). I suppose if the nut wasn't tight it would of had quite a bit of in and out slop creating alot of heat at speed? Just a guess? Good luck hopefully you get back on the trail soon.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts

Gorilla is the only outer that has not failed. I've broke a couple rear shafts in shock form and other aftermarket companies. You can buy just the gorilla outer and put it on your shaft that broke for about $250. There is no other fix available on the market at this time. Gorilla made the threaded portion larger and appeared to HT it differently.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Also chances are you'll need a new caliper, new rotor, new bearing and I would go ahead and have them put another hub on it. I bent my hub and my brakes were terrible until I changed it.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
$250 for one. They're proud of them but they know they're the only ones that have "resolved" the problem. A complete assembly from them is about $435 per

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
I'm almost willing to bet that the nut was loose and that's why it broke so easily. Please please please let BRP customer service know what happened so this doesn't happen on the next model or so they can build a "race version" to correct the problem.

EDIT: being that you broke it where the bearing surface meets the splines I would say you either hit something crazy hard which is unlikely cause you have a straight factory radius rod or you have a faulty axle shaft. I've never seen a shaft break where yours did, every one I've seen has broke like mine. The nut being loose could still cause that but it would be really hard.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have taken the machine to the dealer and it should be all fixed by the end of next week, but this seems to be an issue that shouldn't happen. I was pretty surprised that it broke without a flat tire, without hitting anything, without anything else being messed up. BRP is replacing basically everything except the a arms and the wheel (which weren't damaged). I did have an issue with not being able to get the alignment right, and I wonder if the nut was loose and causing my alignment problems and also ultimately leading to this. My machine is a 2014 max xrs. I have about 1000 miles on it. All in the desert here in Arizona.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-areed

Yes it was broke in the middle of the splines. Not where yours was. The hub, rotor, end of the shaft and nut were all with the wheel and in tact when I found the wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts