Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Hickory, NC
2,962 Posts
Anyone other than BRP make that tool to remove a cv? shoe
I was thinking of a turnbuckle style tool that would land on each inner star evenly and press outward. Hammering is for the birds
As many that are out there, there should be a market for a smart $200 tool for just this.
I'm convinced that since I didn't get the inner circlip to compress properly the very first hit, that the circlip was deformed and started getting the spline shape pounded into it with each and every violent hit, eventually making it impossible for it to compress and exit the star as designed.
I'm going to find out today when I put it in the 100 ton press at work! I will push until something breaks, I don't care.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The dealer gave you an estimated time considering the CV joint comes off without much trouble . If you ask Play-Doh he will tell you different ! My suggestion to him if he hasn't allready is to pull the inner axle out of the differential so he can hole the center axle in a vise. Holding the center piece in a vise will transfer all the energy from the hammer directly to the piece he is trying to get off . Still don't have to mess with the inner boot but will loose a little gear oil out of the diff.

·
Hickory, NC
2,962 Posts
The dealer gave you an estimated time considering the CV joint comes off without much trouble . If you ask Play-Doh he will tell you different ! My suggestion to him if he hasn't allready is to pull the inner axle out of the differential so he can hole the center axle in a vise. Holding the center piece in a vise will transfer all the energy from the hammer directly to the piece he is trying to get off . Still don't have to mess with the inner boot but will loose a little gear oil out of the diff.
I agree 100% if I had any advice for HandyManDan it would be to strike the inner star evenly (using some kind of half moon shape punch) and hit it as hard as you possibly can the first time. It took me 20 swings before I made the tool and by then it was too late

·
Registered
192 Posts
Spread your vise out where it's just a little larger than the axle shaft put the outer joint above about 10" with the shaft in the vise jaws but not clamped on the shaft and jerk the shaft down. The out joint hits the vise jaws evenly on both side and will pop right off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hickory, NC
2,962 Posts
Finally got it pressed out. What do you think? Is this gonna leave me stranded in the woods? Microphone Audio equipment Technology Metal

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Do you have a new clip? I have one I could drop in the mail if you want it just pm me an address

·
Registered
185 Posts
ok I noticed my right rear outer boot is torn. will I have to remove the whole axle to replace the boot or can I do it with the axle in. also could someone explain the process to do it or even a short vid would be good. I've looked on YouTube but noting on the mav. do you have a part number for the tool and the circlip

·
Registered
108 Posts
rubber dead blow gets em off every time for me. One thing I can suggest is leave the cv all together when you are trying to separate the cv from the axle give you a larger whacking surface. works every time for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I might be able to do a short video this week. I am putting on my new lsr long travel kit and I need to swap out axle shafts without damaging boot clips. So I will try and do a video of it

·
Registered
185 Posts
sweet thanks. also where can I get the circlips for the axle. the only one I can find is the one on the spines that go into the diff.

·
Registered
108 Posts
that might actually be the same one. but they come in the boot kits. Unless yours got mangled it should be reusable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
so last night I had to swap out axle shafts on the front which is the same as the rear. its always a good idea to mark your axles to make sure you put the same one back in. Is it necessary no but its nice to. Also I have heard from other can am race teams that you should red Loctite the stub axle splines before you put the hub on, I guess it reduces the small amount of slop in the splines reducing wear.

You can take the boot clamps off without ruining them just pry up the edge of the clip and bend it back down when you re-install it.

I didn't take a video last night but some key pictures that will help.

First one is the outer cv. Clamp the axle shaft in the vise and hold the stub axle straight with your hand while pulling away from the axle shaft and use a dead blow to whack the cv off. You might need to hit the cv in a few spots to get it to pop off but it will come off.

Now for the inner slip cv joint. Pull the retaining ring and pull the stub axle off.

Have your hand ready below the remaining part of the cv because the balls will want to fall off after you removed the stub axle. Pull out all the ball and set on a paper towel.

Now to remove whats left of the cv from the axle shaft close the vise enough that the jaws are not contacting the axle shaft but just supporting the inner part of the cv. Take a punch and small sledge and give her a whack. Should come off pretty easy.

Then just put her back together. You can smack the cvs back on to the axle shaft with a soft deadblow.

Hope that helps

21 - 35 of 35 Posts