Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get outer cv joint off a rear cv axle? Have a ripped boot but not sure how the joint comes off on a maverick

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have not changed a Maverick boot yet, but it sure looks like every other CV I have worked on. The outer CV is held onto the axle shaft with a circlip, and a real PITA to remove. Here is how I have done them:
1. Remove axle assy.
2. Cut inner boot bands and slide back inner boot.
3. Remove the big snap ring from the inner CV housing. Pull the inner CV out of the stub shaft housing.
4. Remove the snap ring holding the inner CV to the shaft, then remove the inner CV. Remove the inner boot. You now have access to the outer CV boot.
5. Cut the outet boot bands and slide the outer boot off.
6. Reassemble is opposite of removal.

A banding tool and bands are available from NAPA. And latex or nitrile gloves are a must.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you get the cv joint off? Having trouble getting my rear inner one off got all the bearings n ring off but can't get it to slide off the axle even tried a puller with no luck

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have not changed a Maverick boot yet, but it sure looks like every other CV I have worked on. The outer CV is held onto the axle shaft with a circlip, and a real PITA to remove. Here is how I have done them:
1. Remove axle assy.
2. Cut inner boot bands and slide back inner boot.
3. Remove the big snap ring from the inner CV housing. Pull the inner CV out of the stub shaft housing.
4. Remove the snap ring holding the inner CV to the shaft, then remove the inner CV. Remove the inner boot. You now have access to the outer CV boot.
5. Cut the outet boot bands and slide the outer boot off.
6. Reassemble is opposite of removal.

A banding tool and bands are available from NAPA. And latex or nitrile gloves are a must.
Good info that I hope I don't need for a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i am have everything off except for i star the right side pic in the bottom photo i cant see from the pic but does it have a clip to ? i dont see one anywhere on mine it wont come of period tried heat tried a puller there is only a 100 miles on it so it not messed up or anything just wont come off any other ideas?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just tapped mine off with a brass hammer. Every once in a while, you get one that should just pop off and itvwont . Usually you end up ruining it......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I got it off there is a clip about 3/16 from the end I guess u could try pressing down the shaft remove the clip then press off the end .not sure if mine just got hung up or what

·
Registered
292 Posts
rookiex1290

Hold the axle in the vise and knock the star off the end of the axle with a hammer. I used a block of wood to drive the star so I didn't damage the star. Now the outer joint is a different story. you have to use a big hammer and have the nerve to knock the sh!t out of it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Simular to chrisbw - axle in vise, 1.5" square x 6" aluminum
block, 2.5# mini sledge - hit it like you mean it, one sharp hit - they come right off. Just did this to install Gorilla outer.

NorthWestOffroad.net
Racing- Adventure - Fun
Maverick XRS

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Dammit I'm struggling! I have the outer boot slid back and pounded on it good with a 3# sledge but nothing. I saw a homemade tool on you tube I might have to make, kinda a half socket welded to a bar. I would go after the inner joint( if it was any easier) but I don't have any extra boot clips.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I bought a tool thru BRP that looks like a C cut out of 1/4" plate with the inside diameter the same as the axle it has a rod welded to it to hit with a hammer. You could most likely make one out of a piece of 1" pipe cut at an angle so you could rest the pipe on your axle length wise with the axle . The idea is to hit the star shaped piece as close to the axle as possible and drive it off. There is a small retaining clip on the axle that lockers inside the star shaped piece . There is no way to release the clip you have to either drive it off or press the axle out. The trick I have found is use a big hammer like a 4lb shop hammer once you start it moving it not too bad it is very hard to get it started moving. I just changed both my outer boots and didn't take the axle out of the diff.

Attachments

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Well worked all day on it and nothing yet. It shouldn't be that hard! Why don't they put at least a snap ring on the inner star? It has a circlip too. I have all but ruined my axle trying to replace a $10 boot. Powder coat is all screwed up, I'm into 2 boots now, hammer marks all around the cup from wild swings and retaining clip on inner CV broken. I'm so aggravated I could spit nails! And before you start thinking what a pussy, I'll invite any one of you to come to the shop and "school" me on how it just pops right off with a brass hammer. I'm throwing some Happy Gilmore swings at this sombitch with a sledge and it just won't move. That can't be good on any CV. It has more slop now since I've been hittin it. Guess I'll just buy another axle unless you think the dealer wants to loose some skin and give it a try. I swear they never intended this to come apart from the factory but I WILL NOT give up and will beat it into submission until the cage breaks or torch it in two just for spite. Wait and see

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Man I hate that , I had one on my Renegade that was almost that bad. When I got to the point that it was coming off no matter how much I tore up it finally surrendered . I couldn't agree with you more it shouldn't be that hard just to change a boot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a tear in my CV boot too. The deal told me you don't have to take off the inner boot to get the outer boot off / on. Seems reasonable since the kit only comes with the bands for a single boot. They also said it can be done in an hour and a half. Is this true?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts