Anyone know how to get outer cv joint off a rear cv axle? Have a ripped boot but not sure how the joint comes off on a maverick
Good info that I hope I don't need for a while.I have not changed a Maverick boot yet, but it sure looks like every other CV I have worked on. The outer CV is held onto the axle shaft with a circlip, and a real PITA to remove. Here is how I have done them:
1. Remove axle assy.
2. Cut inner boot bands and slide back inner boot.
3. Remove the big snap ring from the inner CV housing. Pull the inner CV out of the stub shaft housing.
4. Remove the snap ring holding the inner CV to the shaft, then remove the inner CV. Remove the inner boot. You now have access to the outer CV boot.
5. Cut the outet boot bands and slide the outer boot off.
6. Reassemble is opposite of removal.
A banding tool and bands are available from NAPA. And latex or nitrile gloves are a must.