Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought 2 new Rhino 2.0 front axels and installed them on my x3. Went for a ride and both boots pulled out fron the hose clamp on the diff side. Is there some other issue I should be looking for thats causing this, Or did they just not get the clamp tight enough? I replaced both of them because the stock driver side cv boot ripped, now on both new ones the cv boot came off.

·
Premium Member
14,088 Posts
Seems like more than a coincidence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rhino axles are not better than the factory BRP axles.
Should I just go with factory axels? None of the axels have broke. Just the boot coming off the cv. The factory lasted almost 3000 miles before tearing. Both of these rhinos came un done at the clamp.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
3rd no on Rhino axles.
Stick with stock..

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,088 Posts
3rd no on Rhino axles.
Stick with stock..

Barbara

Yep, OEM works best!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ugh for just the grease cleanup !! Rhino axles suck, Rhino 2.0 are superior to Rhino. I have Rhino 2.0 on my RZR. Rhino 2.0 is super popular on the east coast and with mudders. I just purchased a Rhino 2.0 for my Mav after I whiskey throttled one of my fronts while it was at full droop in a mud hole, 2am, whiskey and my fault it broke. I sheared the axle in half cleanly inside the diff side boot.....the boot was so strong that I kept riding then and the entire next day with that axle broken in half and only held in place by the boot.....the boot never ripped and i rode another 50 miles!!

I bought a Rhino replacement for a couple reasons , 18 month warranty !! It looks superior to the oem, the shaft is noticeably bigger, its much heavier/heftier, the cv joints are noticeably bigger and it has more range of motion than oem. Lots of people "upgrade" from oem (so they think" and they don't go back to oem. Its really popular with mudders.
But I also see many people saying they are weaker than oem and the tips break off in the diff.

One thing is for sure......oem axles are good axles......is the Rhino 2.0 better or worse ??? seems to be subjective at this point based on the hundreds of posts ive seen. I wish there was a way or machine that would test axles on a bench so that would know the exact answer.

reclamp the Rhino 2.0 and go enjoy your machine......if they break let us know, if you pass another 3000 miles let us know :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ugh for just the grease cleanup !! Rhino axles suck, Rhino 2.0 are superior to Rhino. I have Rhino 2.0 on my RZR. Rhino 2.0 is super popular on the east coast and with mudders. I just purchased a Rhino 2.0 for my Mav after I whiskey throttled one of my fronts while it was at full droop in a mud hole, 2am, whiskey and my fault it broke. I sheared the axle in half cleanly inside the diff side boot.....the boot was so strong that I kept riding then and the entire next day with that axle broken in half and only held in place by the boot.....the boot never ripped and i rode another 50 miles!!

I bought a Rhino replacement for a couple reasons , 18 month warranty !! It looks superior to the oem, the shaft is noticeably bigger, its much heavier/heftier, the cv joints are noticeably bigger and it has more range of motion than oem. Lots of people "upgrade" from oem (so they think" and they don't go back to oem. Its really popular with mudders.
But I also see many people saying they are weaker than oem and the tips break off in the diff.

One thing is for sure......oem axles are good axles......is the Rhino 2.0 better or worse ??? seems to be subjective at this point based on the hundreds of posts ive seen. I wish there was a way or machine that would test axles on a bench so that would know the exact answer.

reclamp the Rhino 2.0 and go enjoy your machine......if they break let us know, if you pass another 3000 miles let us know :)
I thought about re clamping jt. How much amd what kind of grease do I put in there since it all splattered all over the place. Not looking forward to cleaning up that mess again lol I just got done doing it from the first one

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I thought about re clamping jt. How much amd what kind of grease do I put in there since it all splattered all over the place. Not looking forward to cleaning up that mess again lol I just got done doing it from the first one
Redline CV-2, completely fill the cv joint, as much as you can tightly pack in it. Grease available on amazon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,061 Posts
Redline CV-2, completely fill the cv joint, as much as you can tightly pack in it. Grease available on amazon

Whoa there turbo!!! Maybe on the east cost you can pack them full. Over here on the left coast in the desert you need room for expansion and should not jam pack the boots. We have more open space and drive faster here.

ANY cv grease works from cheap Vatozone to CAT desert grease to high dollar Swepco. Just clean the inside of the boot and cv cup mating surface really well with alcohol and dont over tighten band and cut the boot.
n

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Whoa there turbo!!! Maybe on the east cost you can pack them full. Over here on the left coast in the desert you need room for expansion and should not jam pack the boots. We have more open space and drive faster here.

ANY cv grease works from cheap Vatozone to CAT desert grease to high dollar Swepco. Just clean the inside of the boot and cv cup mating surface really well with alcohol and dont over tighten band and cut the boot.
n
Agreed ! That’s why I told him to pack the CV joint and there was zero mention of packing the CV boot.
The expansion or pushing of the grease in the CV will push into the boot ……the clean and non greased boot :). If you fill the CV and the CV boot it will pop off on your first ride .
Fill the cv joint full to the top edge, then put the boot back on ….both coasts and the central U.S. should do it this way :) lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just broke a rhino 2.0 rear, though likely my own fault as I also dinged the inside edge of the rim somehow.

After much consideration, including ability to order on a Sunday without having technical questions answered, I ordered all balls in the heavy duty 8 balls variety as opposed to the 6 balls they also offer (stock look to be 6 ball also). Is it really better, I have no idea, but figure I'll try for myself. Likely would have gone OEM but I was only 95% sure of the correct part number based on the diagram, so went all balls instead.

As both places (RMATV and Amazon) I found them were up to a week or so out estimated Friday minimum, I ordered one from each place so I'll have a no lead-time spare for next time. Funny thing is the Amazon was from Socal somethingorother and I'm in the north east and it said estimated 11th-14th, so figured I'd get that one second. Well amazingly it showed up early afternoon today, with a CA return address on the label which also said "UPS GROUND". Wondering how that could happen, but definitely not complaining! Now I can most likely have it fixed by Friday night ride :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Order several , you’ll need them All for a trail ride :)

all balls , 8 balls and 6 balls are the cheapest China crap made , crap, crap , crap

any reason that you could come on to sis site to get the oem part number ? Not sure why you couldn’t find it on the numerous oem parts sites . You won’t get much ride time on those axles

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Order several , you’ll need them All for a trail ride :)

all balls , 8 balls and 6 balls are the cheapest China crap made , crap, crap , crap

any reason that you could come on to sis site to get the oem part number ? Not sure why you couldn’t find it on the numerous poem parts sites . You won’t get much ride time on those axles
What's a poem part???

Barbara

·
Registered
241 Posts
With all this talk of CV poems, I have a related question. Run the OEMs until they fail or dive into the nasty and clean/repack them on some interval? I get it if the boot is torn a repacking is required, but otherwise just keep riding?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
With all this talk of CV poems, I have a related question. Run the OEMs until they fail or dive into the nasty and clean/repack them on some interval? I get it if the boot is torn a repacking is required, but otherwise just keep riding?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I just replace them after a few thousand miles. Another idea, which I haven't tried, is use an IR thermometer to see how hot they are getting when you ride, and if you see a noticeable rise in temps at some point its time to either take 'em apart and regrease them or get new ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts