Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cut out the plastic peices from the shifter slots? I want to do so in case I have to grab reverse quickly while hill climbing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I will just cut them out instead of buying another one.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
becarefull grabbing gears aggressively they are known to split the case and break teeth off gears and warranty wont cover it
My thoughts exactly! I don't understand why someone would need reverse that much faster. Maybe a half of second. The risk of exploding gears is much higher.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I thought about doing this modification as well. But afetr giving it much thought decided against it as bumping the shifter in rough conditions could ruin an otherwise fun day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
IMG_1931.JPG cut this out of a piece of stainless and bolted it in place. absolutely love it!!

Reactions: madmavman

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Smitty - Very cool. does the shifter stay in the selected gear position pretty good? Have you ever bumped it out of gear while driving?

·
Registered
16 Posts
nope, never had any trouble at all. the shifter has a spring that holds it to the driver side. only thing I would change is where it stops when shifting to reverse. I made the "wall" in between reverse and park to far forward but it still completely goes into reverse when it hits that "wall" its just the thought of it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not sure if they're still available but, the 2011 commanders had that same style before they changed it to the current ones that they put on all of them now. Think I'll check into it beings that I'm in need of a new one anyway.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My thoughts exactly! I don't understand why someone would need reverse that much faster. Maybe a half of second. The risk of exploding gears is much higher.
If your rock climbing and are about to back flip it's pretty important to be able to grab reverse quickly in a high stress situation. It's not for grabbing reverse while still moving foreward.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Here you go guys.
Lever indicator #137
Part# 707900037
$4.49
Cheap cycle parts. Com
Thanks for the info....does anyone have a good picture of what this one looks like? Also, has anyone installed the European version with the shift lock?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your rock climbing and are about to back flip it's pretty important to be able to grab reverse quickly in a high stress situation. It's not for grabbing reverse while still moving foreward.
That's a good point but I don't think these gears can handle changes while the engine is in rev... Ecspeially from H/L to R. I was thinking you could cut the notch from High gear to Nuetral but that wouldn't help if it was going over backwards. Too bad no one has come out with a manual transmission for any of these SxS's yet. That would be a game changer.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Thanks for the info....does anyone have a good picture of what this one looks like? Also, has anyone installed the European version with the shift lock?
I have installed the European version gear shift lock option on my Maverick. I posted a how to thread with lots of pictures.

Just do a search for gear shift or shifter and you should find it.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts