Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts
From a roll your RPMs should already be up around 7000 and turbo already spooled, Im worried about dead start and how long till I see boost. I ride a lot at the dunes and im sure will be racing from the bottom to the top of the hill from a dead start. Couldnt imagine waiting for the boost to kick in why the guy next to me with a stock 12.1 compression Maverick pulls away..

I could be wrong since I only have about 10 miles on my old set up, but there was a "bit" of lag..

From a roll your RPMs should already be up around 7000 and turbo already spooled, Im worried about dead start and how long till I see boost. I ride a lot at the dunes and im sure will be racing from the bottom to the top of the hill from a dead start. Couldnt imagine waiting for the boost to kick in why the guy next to me with a stock 12.1 compression Maverick pulls away..

I could be wrong since I only have about 10 miles on my old set up, but there was a "bit" of lag..
If you're racing, hold the brake a bit, & spool the turbo some

Boosted Launch would be ideal, not sure the belt will like it. Need to design a brake on the primary. I guess there is always the option of adding a little NOS to get things moving

Nah, not if you do it right. I can make over 30psi before I leave, on a pure drag setup, no problem. You couldn't ride it around, but it works great, for a pure race setup, & no belt problems.

Yours must have more lag then mine because a xp1000 only pulls me a length from a dead stop before I blow by him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 9:1 stock bore Carrillo Pistons for Maverick will be for sale once I get the correct ones from MCX. $450 CDN, good deal for someone in Canada
Or you could tell Damon at mcx to keep them and refund you a credit back to your credit card. That's what I will be doing since I had Kevin hunt down the correct pistons himself. They finally showed up today so the build continues!

Discussion starter · #113 ·
Anyone consider running the stock pistons and using E85? I wonder what kind of boost limitations there would be running it that way. Obviously you would need to run some stupid large injectors, and I'm not sure the stock fuel pump could provide enough flow. I really dislike the idea of dropping the compression down 3 points to run the turbo. Out of boost it will be a gutless turd.

Just thought I would chime in with a few things.

I'm running a Yamaha Viper 4stroke sled, 1050cc triple. The factory endorsed MPI pump gas kit uses the Mitsu 15g turbo. It has little to no lag, which is a huge thing in the sled world. The MCX Viper kit uses the Mitsu 19T turbo. Its also good for their pump gas kit, but has potential to be turn up into a race gas kit making 300HP.

The TE04 mentioned above supposedly uses the 13C compressor wheel (39.9 Inducer x 53mm Exducer).
The GT2554 uses a 42.1 x 54.3mm wheel, slightly bigger than the TE04.
The GT2252 you (OP) mentioned also is a 40.2 x 52mm compressor, slightly smaller than the TE04.
The last two digits of a Garrett turbo designate the largest part (exducer) of the compressor wheel.

The 2554 also runs a slightly bigger turbine wheel at 53mm but little tighter turbine housing at .64 A/R. The 2252 uses a 50mm turbine wheel and has a .67 A/R turbine housing.

To compare, my Mitsu 15g uses a 43.4 x 56mm compressor wheel and the Mitsu 19T uses a 46 x 58.0mm compressor wheel.

That said, 1000cc motors being close to equal (twin vs triple)(8000 vs 10,500 rpm) either of your choices should work great. Personally, I'd pick the bigger of the two, it should be plenty responsive. Boondocker uses the GT2860 on the RZR 1000.

Don't focus so much on how much PSI boost per se your running, but more about how much CFM air its moving. You can make more power with less "boost" but more air (bigger turbo), but it is a give/take kinda thing. Ball bearing will spool faster, but if your a repair your own stuff kinda guy, you will have to send the center section in to Garrett to be fixed. A journal bearing you can rebuild yourself. Just my $.02 :)

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.