Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Well the oil leak is fixed so the money I saved for the big bore kit to rebuild the motor with it now gonna be used to force a lot of air and fuel into that 1000 cc rotax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I don't know the part number. But the new seal is black and the old one is orange

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I've got some knowledge on this stuff so here goes. First off I wanna say thank you to all the Guys I've been gathering info from. Ogduner, 01cummins, MRRPM, to name a few. If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry. You know who you are.

So here's what I know, you need a good fuel controller that has inputs for a MAP sensor. A couple of choices are the PC5 and the fuel monster The "BAR" of MAP sensor is based on the model of turbo you use. To get the turbo in the sweet spot or power curve it needs to be mated to the correct MAP sensor. Next is injectors,

OGduner has stated that he uses 80lbs DEKA Siemens injectors with a pigtail harness to plug Into our harnesses.
The turbo selection itself is a bit of a mystery. Some people use the TO4E. Some use the GT-28 some elect to go with the smaller gt-15. Basically it's a shot in the dark unless you've got 10 turbos to test varying in a/r, trim, compressor size, turbine size, and cfm flow. Cfm flow need is based on the displacement of the engine. So based in the formula, our engine is 61ci. That puts is on a certain ballpark of turbos. ALBANATE recommended a gt-2252. When I looked it up the specs were inline with all the parameters. The flow chart states that a 2.5 BAR MAP sensor is needed with this turbo.

A thing I learned today from 01 cut a is that above 6psi of boost is recommended that you use turbo pistons. If you replace pistons which 01 cummins stated it's around $450. The shims to lower compression and run 5psi of boost are only $10 a piece from MRRPM.
The silber kit has found that running an intercooler only nets 5-7% hp gains by lowering the IAT ( incoming air temperature). This is where I disagree, I'd rather have the IAT as cool as possible. They claim that the length of the charge tube in the maverick is long enough to dissipate enough heat. Sure it's easier not to plumb an intercooler but I'm doing one.

The piping is generally 2" on the charge side back to the throttle body. This leads me to an answer I've not got to the bottom of. The plastic intake plenum. MRRPM is claiming that it'll hold till 10 psi. I don't plan on running more than that so I'm gonna give it a try.
The place to mount the turbo is where silber mounts theirs. It's the cleanest spot. I'd recommend heat wrap and a compressor blanket on the turbo to mitigate heat on the battery.
The oil return and oil feed line are something that I've barely scratched the surface on. 01 cummins confirmed that the location I was thinking of. He was saying that he oil feed doesn't work and he's got a bum piston because of it.

That's how far I've got. Now let's all gather what we can an invent a working turbo setup for these machines

I'm no expert and if you've got something INTELLIGENT to add to this by all means. If not, it's ok to sit back and learn and not make some ignorant post. Nobody cares if you've turbod your moms Hyundai

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Using a ball bearing turbo is way more efficient of a turbo than a journal bearing turbo. It's like the difference between a wetsump oil system vs a dry sump oil system

·
Registered
3,638 Posts

These are the turbo specs that need to be examined at length. Each one of those circles is a representation of the level of efficiency that it'll run at and what rpm and BAR to run at. This one reaches peak efficiency at a lower BAR . The large round circle in the middle are working parameters where the turbo is most efficient.

Each turbo has one of these charts. So to choose the best turbo for your application, requires hours and hours of pouring through the data that is in these charts.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Different trims, and A/R can be had in the same turbo and it'll completely change the needs and characteristics of the turbo to be the most efficient.

I use the term efficient a lot in regards to turbos. In reality all a turbo is, is a large fan speeding up the airfield charge into the combustion chamber

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Hmmmm interesting, I can see where that makes sense.
So are you proposing to go larger than the mathematical formulas suggest?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My first choice of a turbo was the TO4E but everyone I talked to said it was too big?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Greg and Jason, can you guys look at this turbo and see what ya think. It's a gt-2252

1 - 20 of 29 Posts