Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- received my CT package (gusset kit, bushings, shock tower mount) and the parts are beefy. However, the billet shock mount arrived with scratches/scuffs on the face. I sent pictures to the third party distributor and CT sent a new one right away (awesome right)! Unfortunately however, the replacement I received had similar scratches, although not as bad. I contacted the distributor a second time and they said all of them come out of powder this way. If that’s the case than it is what it is, but for this billet “show piece” to have scratches seems odd. Wondering if anybody else has received a shock mount like this, or if I just got two mounts that were missed in QC. The scratches on the second one aren’t as bad but I was surprised not to receive a pristine black billet piece. I recently did a ZRP black billet radius rod plate and it was flawless. Below are pictures of the two pieces. There’s no doubt I’m OCD but is this typical?

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
My only question is why are you ordering from a distributor / supplier. CT Raceworx probably sells blems to those guys, and that's what they sell. CT Raceworx wouldn't let that leave their place like that. Get your money back, and order directly from CT Raceworx. Might cost more, but worth it, IMO. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
To add to Hollywood's comment, I ordered everything direct from CT. You could potentially sell one of the two, resulting in having nearly perfect product for nearly free. Just a thought.

·
Official Site Vendor
8,211 Posts
Ct shipped both pieces directly from their inventory through a drop ship from CT through Pro UTV Parts. If we have any blemished pieces in our warehouse they are clearly marked blems and go for a discount. These were sold as new unblemished parts and were as far as we knew they were until Waveslider opened the package. We at Pro UTV Parts have never seen the part (only pictures). The story that Waveslider is telling is the story I received from Dave at CT. Ct sent another part out as soon as I informed Dave at CT that a problem existed. I have paid for both of the parts that have been sent plus paid the shipping. Telling someone to sell the other part and get it for free is not ethical. I do not think Waveslider would do that even if I had not seen this post.

Some metallurgy 101, metal batches are not all the same. As an ASME certified inspector and with 30 years of engineering experience I have some background in metallurgy. I don't claim to be a metallurgy expert. I just know enough to be dangerous. Here is the the 10 second explanation of how metal is made. Some batches of metal are better than others. Making metal is a batch process. Think about making a cake at home. Some cakes are better than others. Metal batches are the same way. That is why ASME has a specification for grades of aluminum so that the metal grades are as close as possible to the specification for the grade and type of metal. CT is claiming that the metal has a defect in it that caused the anodizing problem. My opinion only, CT should send out a better part that is not damaged or sell them as blems themselves. To CT's credit they sent out a new part right away when requested. It was all they had because all the parts had the same defect. They sorted through what they had and sent the best one they had out. CT has been straight up with me in everything we do and I respect that. However, I am on Wavesliders side on this one. He can send them both back to Pro UTV Parts and we will mark them as blems and sell them that way. If this seems less than fair let me know. We operate straight up at Pro UTV Parts and try to treat our customers fair and with respect.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
My apologies. I thought that CT had comp'd the 2nd one. My mistake. I was just throwing a suggestion out to make an unfortunate situation a little more palatable. I certainly wasn't commenting on any distributor, just giving my positive first-hand experience with CT and a direct shipment. I would have no issues with a blem myself.

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
Ct shipped both pieces directly from their inventory through a drop ship from CT through Pro UTV Parts. If we have any blemished pieces in our warehouse they are clearly marked blems and go for a discount. These were sold as new unblemished parts and were as far as we knew they were until Waveslider opened the package. We at Pro UTV Parts have never seen the part (only pictures). The story that Waveslider is telling is the story I received from Dave at CT. Ct sent another part out as soon as I informed Dave at CT that a problem existed. I have paid for both of the parts that have been sent plus paid the shipping. Telling someone to sell the other part and get it for free is not ethical. I do not think Waveslider would do that even if I had not seen this post.

Some metallurgy 101, metal batches are not all the same. As an ASME certified inspector and with 30 years of engineering experience I have some background in metallurgy. I don't claim to be a metallurgy expert. I just know enough to be dangerous. Here is the the 10 second explanation of how metal is made. Some batches of metal are better than others. Making metal is a batch process. Think about making a cake at home. Some cakes are better than others. Metal batches are the same way. That is why ASME has a specification for grades of aluminum so that the metal grades are as close as possible to the specification for the grade and type of metal. CT is claiming that the metal has a defect in it that caused the anodizing problem. My opinion only, CT should send out a better part that is not damaged or sell them as blems themselves. To CT's credit they sent out a new part right away when requested. It was all they had because all the parts had the same defect. They sorted through what they had and sent the best one they had out. CT has been straight up with me in everything we do and I respect that. However, I am on Wavesliders side on this one. He can send them both back to Pro UTV Parts and we will mark them as blems and sell them that way. If this seems less than fair let me know. We operate straight up at Pro UTV Parts and try to treat our customers fair and with respect.
Craig,

Your post is well thought out and delivered! I didn't even know you were the "distributor", I was thinking along the lines of a Rocky Mountain ATV or others. Nevertheless, your post is the reason I always order from you when I need something!!! You sir, "get it"!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You will not find a better vendor than Craig hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agreed ! He’s been great to all of us !

and CT makes overbuilt badass products !

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It’s anodized not powder coated. The powder coating guys might be handling the It’ll fade in the sun after years of washing a and abuse from things flying into it while driving and while on the trailer. I have the same one as well and as a former machinist I can tell you keeping that heavy of a piece from getting some kind of mark is a real pain for everyone involved down the line.

That said, they ran the tool either way to fast or it was damaged when they ran those as the mill marks are scalloped and rushed. Sometimes companies go for that look but most of the time not.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine does not have a single scratch on it. The anodizing is flawless.
Thanks dude, good to know.
Anybody else that has this mount I’de be interested to get your take.
I may have to reach out to CT directly and see if they can get it resolved.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It’s anodized not powder coated. The powder coating guys might be handling the It’ll fade in the sun after years of washing a and abuse from things flying into it while driving and while on the trailer. I have the same one as well and as a former machinist I can tell you keeping that heavy of a piece from getting some kind of mark is a real pain for everyone involved down the line.

That said, they ran the tool either way to fast or it was damaged when they ran those as the mill marks are scalloped and rushed. Sometimes companies go for that look but most of the time not.

Agree on the anodizing. It wont be the last blemish... Especially black never holds up. Always fades into another color. Why I went raw on mine.

My 3yr old once black CT rear pull plate is now a DARK purple and my black Dragonfire fire extinguisher mount turned GOLD where it gets hit by the sun. GO figure...

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
If they do send another have them inspect it in the area of concern so you don't end up with (3) of the same.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn’t name a vendor as this wasn’t about trying to throw anybody under the bus. Just wanted to get an opinion from the X3 experts on this forum. As usual, Craig stepped up and acknowledged the situation, as he did the first time I inquired about the part. It’s cool to have vendors that are active on the forum. Craig sent me a shipping label to return the part right after I last spoke with him but I left on a two week vacation the next day and didn’t have time to pack and ship.
Good info about the anodize discoloring, If this part is in fact going to turn purple from UV exposure than maybe I should just get a bare replacement and be done with it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Checkout the difference in color between my 3yr old pull plate and 3mo old lower radius rods.
Ya dude, that’s definitely turning purple, the bare brace does look good with black plastics.
Now I’m OCD’ing out on what it takes to keep a black anodized part from turning purple. I know this happens on cheap anodized aluminum parts but I figured the process they use on the quality sxs parts would hold up better. I always hate seeing a nice new red anodized part that shortly turns pink.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It was CTs first production run of pull plates for the X3 so maybe they have improved the anodizing since then

1 - 20 of 23 Posts