Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked with the engineer who designs the Gen 4 unit and does all the testing on the vehicles. One they used stock knobbed tires and only saw slippage for a blip down low then no slippage so they used stock tires for all R&D work. Also they have some pretty sophisticated measuring equipment and they never saw the Maverick close the throttle any during any testing. To add to this, I ordered the Power Commander V so I can personally watch TPS during a run to verify this myself. They did how ever state that the Commander will close the throttle some.

Dobeck is also in the process of building their own dynos for resale so they must know something about them

So two big companies are using stock tires on the dyno with no issues same as we are.

To repeat what I posted in another thread, I went back this AM and did a slow roll so there was no way you got tire spin and the rpm versus ground speeds matched the regular runs.

Any slippage is minimal and only occurring right at bottom.

Todd

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
That all makes sense. Props on getting the pc5 to watch the tps. And the Commander ecu is a lot more intrusive than the Maverick.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That all makes sense. Props on getting the pc5 to watch the tps. And the Commander ecu is a lot more intrusive than the Maverick.
I admit I don't know everything and this Maverick is way smarter than other UTV's, smarter than me for sure. Good thing I have people I trust to ask and work out all the details with. May take a bit of time to learn what I need to on this Maverick but this is the very reason we bought it. Who wants to buy technical stuff from someone who does not have one???

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have like to just put a DC volt meter and read TPS but this system does not read like that it reads in digital code like 1 and 0's.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
With all the clutch problems on the stock clutch most of us agree there are, would it not stand to reason that a lot of the HP you are trying to test is potentially being lost to belt slippage? It will be interesting to see what the dyno numbers are with aftermarket primary and secondary. Doesn't increase the HP, but SHOULD get more down to the wheels? Maybe the issue here simply is Todd is proving how bad the stock clutching is once and for all?

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With all the clutch problems on the stock clutch most of us agree there are, would it not stand to reason that a lot of the HP you are trying to test is potentially being lost to belt slippage? It will be interesting to see what the dyno numbers are with aftermarket primary and secondary. Doesn't increase the HP, but SHOULD get more down to the wheels? Maybe the issue here simply is Todd is proving how bad the stock clutching is once and for all?
IT will be awhile before I test aftermarket clutches. When I do I don't think it will be any you see available today.

I will also agree they don't make it but transfer it better if set up right, hope to prove this with the Dalton.

As soon as I get my fuel controller going, next is Dalton clutch kit.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I heard vforcejohn is building some clutchs for can am's. I'm wondering how and what his product is going to be

·
Registered
23 Posts
Talked with the engineer who designs the Gen 4 unit and does all the testing on the vehicles. One they used stock knobbed tires and only saw slippage for a blip down low then no slippage so they used stock tires for all R&D work. Also they have some pretty sophisticated measuring equipment and they never saw the Maverick close the throttle any during any testing. To add to this, I ordered the Power Commander V so I can personally watch TPS during a run to verify this myself. They did how ever state that the Commander will close the throttle some.

Dobeck is also in the process of building their own dynos for resale so they must know something about them

So two big companies are using stock tires on the dyno with no issues same as we are.

To repeat what I posted in another thread, I went back this AM and did a slow roll so there was no way you got tire spin and the rpm versus ground speeds matched the regular runs.

Any slippage is minimal and only occurring right at bottom.

Todd[/QUOTE

Good Deal.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts