Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Treavis Poynter. I race the XC1 class in the GNCC Series. Last year I raced the Crash Addict Polaris RZR XP 900 finishing 6th. This year the day before the GNCC opener I switched to the CanAm Maverick X RS. I raced it stock from the show room no seat time. Now I am starting my build with the help of Alba Racing, FCR Suspension, OMF Performance, and Performance East.

Few pics of the day I picked it up at The General in Georgia.

Bones at OMF Performance overnighted me centers for my OMF wheels.

Before the race.

Some of the race at The General

Building the cage.

Right gaps for a strong cage.

Billboard doors for sponsors.

First test session.

Almost tested the cage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Awesome man. It would be a dream for me to be able to do nothing but race. 2 weeks off every month is a lot of time off but not enough for this kind of dedication. Best of luck to ya. Lookin good so far. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome man. It would be a dream for me to be able to do nothing but race. 2 weeks off every month is a lot of time off but not enough for this kind of dedication. Best of luck to ya. Lookin good so far. Keep us posted on your progress.
That's actually more time than I get off believe it or not. I just spend every penny and spare second on racing. I'm a Union Pipefitter out of Local 565 in Parkersburg, WV. I've been working 6-10s and 7-12s to pay for racing for the last year. It sucks honestly, but its the only way I can afford it at this time. I had last week off because work was slow so I built the cage. I'm back on 7 days now. I either have the time to practice/test and no money or the money and no time. Huge disadvantage compared to the people that dont pay for anything, but makes me more determined to win.

After work tonight I designed seat brackets and bases for my Kirkey seat. Going to design seat bases for the passenger side so that I can use a twisted stitch RZR seat. Lowering the seats allows me to run the cage as low as I do and lowers the center of gravity.

Hopefully I will get my nerf bars and rear bumper built this weekend. Then its powdercoating and I'm working on a siiiikkkkk set of graphics. Last year we were the only fluorescent yellow RZR and this year there are several so need to do something different to stand out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you like it compared to your RZR
Stock for stock there is no comparison. The Maverick is basically where my RZR was at the end of last year spending all year dialing it in. There are so many good things about the Maverick for racing.
-The center mounted engine distributes the weight more evenly helping the maverick corner much better. The RZRs understeer with the weight mostly in the rear.
-The Visco Lock diff also helps in cornering compared to the RZR. In the tight slow corners you have to either brake to the apex in a RZR or coast. This is due to the weight distribution, but also the fully locked front diff. It's like trying to steer a front wheel drove car in the snow with the front wheels spinning. It pushes to the outside. The Maverick goes where you want it on or off the throttle. The 2.5 Fox shocks are the best shocks on a UTV right now and possibly the best shock out there once set up properly.

From a non racing stand point it's just so much "cooler" to me. The Can-Am is like sitting in a Ferrari and the RZR makes you feel like your sitting in an early 90s Honda.

Last year I ran a stage 1 Alba kit on my 900 and it worked great. This year My friend Hans is running the same kit on his 2013 XP. We drag raced and my stock maverick pulled 3-4 links on his Stage 1 XP. The throttle response is much crisper than a RZR. The clutch engages faster.

Kyle Chaney, Can-Am's main guy for the GNCC Series is one of my good friends. His practice unit has 27.7 hours with no maintenance and the only thing they've upgraded is the tie rods. My RZR would have been stripped down and rebuilt with new parts 3-4 times in that amount of time.

I honestly have about 3 hours of seat time in it so I can't wait to get use to it and get it dialed. I just don't have time right now to fab and test.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck guys, if you need any shock help let me know.
Alex
I really appreciate the offer Alex. Shock testing is my favorite thing. Kind of my specialty. I'm in pretty good with FCR Suspension and they are wanting to get really involved with UTVs. They're helping me, but thanks again!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Post the video of you going through the woops!!
I don't have the videos. My friend recorded them on his cell phone and for some reason it won't let him email them to me. You can add me on Facebook to see them. It's just Treavis Poynter and the profile pic is my fiancé and I in front of my Maverick. You can also go like Crash Addict Industries to keep up with us. Crash Addict is a little side business of mine that will hopefully replace pipe fitting one of these days.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Stance with some custom FCR Suspension work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366253687.851643.jpg

FCR Mod shocks with works pistons and nitrogen bladder.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366253763.936625.jpg

Snapshots of FCR Facebook.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366253801.739624.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366253817.786499.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366253832.735565.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366253846.420880.jpg

Kirkey seat base mount we made to make the seat rigid.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366253924.814923.jpg

First gusset we made for the front. We aren't done yet. We have something up our sleeves no one has done and we will be selling them so stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Travis your rig looks awesome wish you the best with your race season. Have you done anything to try an gain a few hp? May K&N or anything? If so would love to hear your finds or maybe your plans.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Travis your rig looks awesome wish you the best with your race season. Have you done anything to try an gain a few hp? May K&N or anything? If so would love to hear your finds or maybe your plans.
Thank you. I have not changed anything yet for power gains. Alba Racing is currently testing with one. I'm holding off for their setup. They always have the best bang for the buck and I'm sure that won't change with the Maverick. Nate doesn't send anything out that doesn't make killer power gains.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I haven't updated this thread in a while. This is our race Maverick presently.
Put some flat track tires on the back and the big wing and that thing would look like a Sprint car!

Reactions: TreavisPoynter

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
don't know how many races you would finish with that kind of HP!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts