Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe some of the racing guys have a perspective. I'm sure some of them have had clutch problems leading to the crank seal leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Still leaking?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Try and call Alex Reed maybe he knows of someone.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
and the crank doesnt have any scuffs or marks on it from when your clutch cam let go?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Absolutely none

And it leaking from the center of the seal where it mates to the crank and not the case?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
could you possibly have gotten some debris from the clutch explosion in there and it ruined the seal? Do you have pics of the sealing surface of the seal that you can post up? Have you compare the I.D. of the leaking seal with a new (uninstalled)seal to see if it is out of spec.......could excessive heat have caused the seal to fail prematurely???

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
And if the crank runout is within tolerance per the dial indicator it leaves one culprit. The seal

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The seal is what I am thinking.......it is the most likely culprit. There are lots of Mavericks that have the same issue with the front differential seals but most people would never know about it because it is not something you would normally look for unless it leaked enough to drip on the floor..........

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Heavy, I've changed the seal twice. The dealer did one and I did one. The same part number both times. I'm going to pick up some 1000 grit emery cloth on the way home from work and give it a shot

·
Registered
367 Posts
Make that crank shine.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
sorry....didn't read far enough down to see the whole story. I don't want to scare you but checking run out with the clutch off and not under load may not tell you the whole story. If the PTO crank bearing is out of tolerance, you may not notice it when doing a static test without any load on the crankshaft. But when the machine is under a load, the crankshaft could be flexing from all of the force put on it if the bearing is not in spec......You should be able to get an indication of this by looking at the inner race of the seal. It would look worn and would be out of spec when compared to a new seal.

Here is a long shot....have you checked your oil level to make sure you are not overfull or do you park it for extended periods with it in a position other than relatively parallel to the ground?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I ku hanged the oil when I got it back from the dealer so I know it's not overfilled. It did cross my mind though 2.3 quarts

The pto bearing does raise my eyebrow though. Mr rpm or Greg suggested that I just change the whe pto cover and buy it from brp. I didn't know if that would address the pto bearing though

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
yea, not sure if that houses the bearing or not....I would have to look at the parts breakdown to see.....

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just polished it with 1500. So we'll see when I start it in a little while

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.