Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey mearsman I looked at a diagram of the crankcase and I'm pretty sure the hole you are referring to is the oil return. Oil is pushed to the crank bearing and out the side to lube the seal. Then the oil returns to the case through the small hole. Make sure there is no debris in the hole to plug up or oil will forced out through the seal continually. You said the bearing is within tolerances so that shouldn't be the reason for seal failure. Is the seal leaking on the crankcase side(outside) or the crank side(inside)? Is the crankcase breather plugged or restricted?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ok I sent it. I'm out working so I'll be on and off between jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Check crank case breather. Then pull that seal out and check that oil return hole and make sure it's not plugged or restricted. Get some 1k grit emery cloth and polish the crank if it has any kind of groove. Run your finger nail across crank to feel any grooves. Clean the crank with lint free rag and solvent. Install new seal with some grease on both inner seal edges and oil on the crank.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That was a lot of oil leaking I would definitely be checking for blockages. I say that because it was leaking in the first place and now after replacing seal it still leaks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Crank case breather is 3/4 black hose leaving the case right above the crank and goes to the main air box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
There is small hole in box where the secondary foam air filter goes. That's where the vent breathes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Air goes in and out but mostly out. Your engine doesn't have that many hours so you should have some blow by. When engine is running you should be able to feel air coming out breather hole in the air box .

·
Registered
367 Posts
Should be able to feel it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Every engine is different. Maybe take breather tube off at engine and then blow air through to make sure it's clear.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is the inside of the air box nice and clean?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Replace that seal and make sure to grease inner seal surfaces. Also check and make sure the oil return hole is clear by blowing air through it too. If it's clear install the new seal after using the 1000 grit emery paper on crank.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Does that seal have a circular spring on the inner lip?

·
Registered
367 Posts
When you get a new seal take static measurements. I've seen brand new seals that are bad.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You said you checked run out but what about diameter of the crank. I know it sounds crazy but you have to check all possibilities. That should fall under warranty though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
But if the crank is not correct that's a manufacture defect.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What about finding a seal at Napa that has a smaller inside diameter ?

·
Registered
367 Posts
In the primary clutch?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well I hope some others have some other ideas.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe some of the racing guys have a perspective. I'm sure some of them have had clutch problems leading to the crank seal leaking.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Try and call Alex Reed maybe he knows of someone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts