Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found where the oil is leaking....it's the seal on the crankshaft behind the primary clutch. I've replaced the seal and it's still leaking oil. The crank is true and within specs I believe. The iil is coming out of the little hole at 6 o'clock under the crank. Then past the seal. FAWK!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey mearsman I looked at a diagram of the crankcase and I'm pretty sure the hole you are referring to is the oil return. Oil is pushed to the crank bearing and out the side to lube the seal. Then the oil returns to the case through the small hole. Make sure there is no debris in the hole to plug up or oil will forced out through the seal continually. You said the bearing is within tolerances so that shouldn't be the reason for seal failure. Is the seal leaking on the crankcase side(outside) or the crank side(inside)? Is the crankcase breather plugged or restricted?
Send me your email and I'll ema you a video of what it's doing. That is for helping me out

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been to sand mtn 2 times, glamis once and to the fire roads 2 times. 4 teenagers consumes a lot of time

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It's nice and clean. I took off the crankcase breather and blew through it. Completely free and clear. I started it up with the breather hose off and after a minute or two it darted to blow a normal amount of air through it. There's no run out in the crank at all per a dial indicator .006 so this leads me back to the oil seal.....any ideas?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It's the tolerance between the crank and the oil seal. It's like the oil seal is too big

1 - 20 of 35 Posts