Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found where the oil is leaking....it's the seal on the crankshaft behind the primary clutch. I've replaced the seal and it's still leaking oil. The crank is true and within specs I believe. The iil is coming out of the little hole at 6 o'clock under the crank. Then past the seal. FAWK!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
My commander after 1000 hours leaked to and had to have several seals replaced. I had my mechanic at KMS Performance fix the issue. I would call Kelly over at KMS he should know all of the seals that were replaced.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Your Mav only has 20 hrs?

·
Registered
157 Posts
My commander did this since day one, noticed it when I put new clutches in around the same time as yours. I stuck a new seal in and it stopped for the most part, the area is still seeping just enough to collect dirt after around 1000 miles. Personally I think it's BRP's seals I have replaced a few of them only to leak right away after changing, some were good some were not, wear rings/shafts were fine also. Also had some leak after changing then slowly stop after a while.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey mearsman I looked at a diagram of the crankcase and I'm pretty sure the hole you are referring to is the oil return. Oil is pushed to the crank bearing and out the side to lube the seal. Then the oil returns to the case through the small hole. Make sure there is no debris in the hole to plug up or oil will forced out through the seal continually. You said the bearing is within tolerances so that shouldn't be the reason for seal failure. Is the seal leaking on the crankcase side(outside) or the crank side(inside)? Is the crankcase breather plugged or restricted?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey mearsman I looked at a diagram of the crankcase and I'm pretty sure the hole you are referring to is the oil return. Oil is pushed to the crank bearing and out the side to lube the seal. Then the oil returns to the case through the small hole. Make sure there is no debris in the hole to plug up or oil will forced out through the seal continually. You said the bearing is within tolerances so that shouldn't be the reason for seal failure. Is the seal leaking on the crankcase side(outside) or the crank side(inside)? Is the crankcase breather plugged or restricted?
Send me your email and I'll ema you a video of what it's doing. That is for helping me out

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been to sand mtn 2 times, glamis once and to the fire roads 2 times. 4 teenagers consumes a lot of time

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ok I sent it. I'm out working so I'll be on and off between jobs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Check crank case breather. Then pull that seal out and check that oil return hole and make sure it's not plugged or restricted. Get some 1k grit emery cloth and polish the crank if it has any kind of groove. Run your finger nail across crank to feel any grooves. Clean the crank with lint free rag and solvent. Install new seal with some grease on both inner seal edges and oil on the crank.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That was a lot of oil leaking I would definitely be checking for blockages. I say that because it was leaking in the first place and now after replacing seal it still leaks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Crank case breather is 3/4 black hose leaving the case right above the crank and goes to the main air box.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There is small hole in box where the secondary foam air filter goes. That's where the vent breathes.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts