Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hit something in my 2017 Maverick X3 XDS which has pushed the bolt up and created a hole as well as a crack (see photos).

I have spoken to the dealer who recommended using JB Weld to repair it but I have concerns as it looks significant. Also worried about where the missing metal part could be.

Can anyone give me any help or advice?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something similar happened to me, check my thread. I look way luckier than you tho! Did that crack spill out all of your gear box fluids?

Gear Box Oil Leak near drain plug - Skid plate rubbing https://www.maverickforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114763

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fluids came out but luckily I was home by then. Just had a look at your thread, do you think JB weld could fix this is is it too big?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
You hit something very hard time for a new transmission . Seen them forsale on ebay and here from Nflow Motorsports. Break open your piggy bank. NO amount of goo is going to fix it. At the very least you will have to pull it and see if a competent welder can fix it, but being on the edge of a sealing surface you might always have a leak.

You can chalk this up as a learning experience on where to place your tires and paying attention to where rocks are. Better skid plate with aluminum backing and larger tires should be in your future also.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
What mega said. A good welder should be able to fix her up.

Reactions: AZSteele

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fluids came out but luckily I was home by then. Just had a look at your thread, do you think JB weld could fix this is is it too big?

Haha no. That looks like a massive chunk I got super lucky and it worked but you couldn't even notice an imperfections on the block from my leak. And learned, I got the aluminum skid and raised it as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
No amount of JB Weld will fix that. Get it welded, get better skids, and watch where you drive if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
If you want to poor boy it get the steel putty it comes in a tube ,you break of how much you need then kneed it between your fingers till all one color and put it on / over the hole , just clean the cases , I had a bone head driving one of the water trucks and he thought driving over boulders was the way to go, he broke a chunk of the pto housing off the pto so gear oil was pouring out of the trans, I mixed up a hole tube and jammed it in to stop the oil and then started working it around the hole to get more gripping area , that was 15 years ago the truck still runs with the patch I did, but in all honesty I wouldn't treat my x3 to this type of a fix it would be to get thru the trip before a proper repair , but that stuff is pretty amazing

·
Registered
68 Posts
Devcon Aluminum Putty or Liquid...the stuff dries hard as steel. I sealed motorcycle engines with this stuff. I had a buddy who worked at Ilmor racing who recommended it. It's good stuff but not cheap.

I had some fall on my concrete garage floor and dried so I hit it with a hammer thinking it would break off the floor. Nope...broke a big chunk of concrete off the floor!

Cases have to be clean.... I used a propane torch to heat the area to get as much of the oil out as possible. The shit I've sealed with this stuff never leak or cracked. Good luck man, sucks for sure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you have insurance, why not file a claim?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve never heard of this happening. I’ve had multiple riding friends have oops, and they were covered.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I have hit something in my 2017 Maverick X3 XDS which has pushed the bolt up and created a hole as well as a crack (see photos).

I have spoken to the dealer who recommended using JB Weld to repair it but I have concerns as it looks significant. Also worried about where the missing metal part could be.

Can anyone give me any help or advice?

Thanks

"Dealer suggested JB Weld"

Speaks volumes. Find a real quality build shop & welder to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts