Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading and hearing allot that the manual states the wrong amount of diff fluid/etc and its to be ignored as the correct amount is not in manual. Can anyone tell me the correct amount for front diff, rear diff, engine oil please so I can save this information. Thank you.

Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
I am reading and hearing allot that the manual states the wrong amount of diff fluid/etc and its to be ignored as the correct amount is not in manual. Can anyone tell me the correct amount for front diff, rear diff, engine oil please so I can save this information. Thank you.
My manual has the correct specs so don't overthink it. You can't over fill the front diff and the gearbox and engine have a dipstick so 馃嵑

Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
My manual has the correct specs so don't overthink it. You can't over fill the front diff and the gearbox and engine have a dipstick so 馃嵑
He doesn't want to buy the service manual and thinks he'll just get told to buy one so he's trying not to make it sound like he's asking how much the diff holds.

Premium Member
Mines a 2018. I've found the front diff (about 12 floz) and engine oil (about 3.7 qt) specs in my manual (the little one that came with the car) to be accurate. But the gearbox took about 50 floz to get to the middle of the dipstick whereas the manual says 42 floz. The engine is easy to overfill so be sure to check it like the manual says: With a warmed up engine. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mines a 2018. I've found the front diff (about 12 floz) and engine oil (about 3.7 qt) specs in my manual (the little one that came with the car) to be accurate. But the gearbox took about 50 floz to get to the middle of the dipstick whereas the manual says 42 floz. The engine is easy to overfill so be sure to check it like the manual says: With a warmed up engine. Good luck.
Thank you very much! This was the real world information I was looking for. Ill have this noted for future use馃憤馃徎

Registered
Yup, dont go all in with 3.7 in crankcase. I did that to the ounce on my recent first oil change and it was way high. I sucked some out and its still high. I added quite a bit to diff and gear box as they were both low from factory.

Like "You can't over fill the front diff and the gearbox and engine have a dipstick so ".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the real world advice. Taking note of all of this. This will be my first service on my new machine. Very happy with can am coming over from the rzr platform. I love everything about my new car, especially the seating/ergonomics position of the interior.

Premium Member
Like others have said when you fill your engine oil it's very easy to over fill it. I was careful and had over filled it before I got to the 3.7 quarts. Now I know why they added that second little oil drain plug. It works great by the way to remove your excess engine oil.

Reactions: McClain210

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like others have said when you fill your engine oil it's very easy to over fill it. I was careful and had over filled it before I got to the 3.7 quarts. Now I know why they added that second little oil drain plug. It works great by the way to remove your excess engine oil.
Thank you! Appreciate all the good info

Registered
I for one am glad you asked the question. I am waiting on my new machine and have been reading on here like crazy (coming from a RZR Turbo). I didn't even know this was an issue, now I do.

Registered
Enough of the GD personal digs...stay on topic!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
See a lot of snarky comments here about the service manual and a go buy your own attitude. Other forums for past brands had pdf or other ways to get a manual from the forum. Been this way since I started using forums. The Can Am group seems different. Why isn鈥檛 the service manual shared?

Premium Member
The only way you can over fill the engine oil by putting 3.7 qts. in is if you didn't drain it all.馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔
I drained mine until no oil was coming out of both oil drain plugs(small and large) I also changed out the oil filter. Since I was using a 4L oil jug I had to use a 16 ounce cup to pour the oil in. When I had finished I still had 1.5 pints left in the 4L oil jug. I was slightly overfull at that point so started the engine to run 30 seconds then let it set 5 minutes before I rechecked oil level. I had to drain out almost the whole16 ounce cup I was using to fill the oil with. I am not sure how I was able to over fill.
Also note I had warmed the engine up prior to draining the oil.

Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
See a lot of snarky comments here about the service manual and a go buy your own attitude. Other forums for past brands had pdf or other ways to get a manual from the forum. Been this way since I started using forums. The Can Am group seems different. Why isn鈥檛 the service manual shared?
The sidebar conversation in this thread is exactly what happens when the service manual procedure for checking the engine oil isn't followed. These cars absolutely hold 3.7 quarts and when you don't check them properly they appear over filled.

What started the snark is the OP repetitively asking for information found easily in the service manual or with a one minute search. I typed in "diff capacity" and the answer to OP's original question came up in one page of results. I don't think this constitutes a personal attack either, OP could provide for himself but wants others to do it for him. I get it, no one wants to read a deluge of responses saying "Use the search, jerk". The flip side to that is the OP could be a contributing member instead of the unending dumb-question guy. Take a penny, leave a penny...not scoop out a handful of pennies and never put any back.

Unfortunately there isn't a free service manual. I had to pay for mine and so did everyone else. OP isn't special in that regard. This is like asking for Quick Load data, if you're familiar.

Premium Member
I've overfilled mine a couple times as it happens much quicker than I would expect. Combine that with the need to warm it up for a valid reading and it can be a bit confusing. I've a length of 1/4" line I send down the fill pipe to siphon a bit off. I'd say a quarter cup usually makes the difference. Plus I always change the filter and let it drain for hours if not over night. (Yeah, kinda anally retented as my kids would say.)

Registered
2019 X3 XRC
I drained mine until no oil was coming out of both oil drain plugs(small and large) I also changed out the oil filter. Since I was using a 4L oil jug I had to use a 16 ounce cup to pour the oil in. When I had finished I still had 1.5 pints left in the 4L oil jug. I was slightly overfull at that point so started the engine to run 30 seconds then let it set 5 minutes before I rechecked oil level. I had to drain out almost the whole16 ounce cup I was using to fill the oil with. I am not sure how I was able to over fill.
Also note I had warmed the engine up prior to draining the oil.
Not sure about liters.I put 3 quarts and about 22 ounces in with the same results every time.

Registered
The sidebar conversation in this thread is exactly what happens when the service manual procedure for checking the engine oil isn't followed. These cars absolutely hold 3.7 quarts and when you don't check them properly they appear over filled.

What started the snark is the OP repetitively asking for information found easily in the service manual or with a one minute search. I typed in "diff capacity" and the answer to OP's original question came up in one page of results. I don't think this constitutes a personal attack either, OP could provide for himself but wants others to do it for him. I get it, no one wants to read a deluge of responses saying "Use the search, jerk". The flip side to that is the OP could be a contributing member instead of the unending dumb-question guy. Take a penny, leave a penny...not scoop out a handful of pennies and never put any back.

Unfortunately there isn't a free service manual. I had to pay for mine and so did everyone else. OP isn't special in that regard. This is like asking for Quick Load data, if you're familiar.
I dont believe you. The only explanation is they dont hold 3.7 or you cannot drain them all the way, or some have defective dip sticks. My oil level is high no matter how I check it. The right way......:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts