Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
are there any actual hills there to climb too? What are some good camp spots in close proximity with hook ups? I can haul them to the dunes if needed but would prefer to ride from the camp spot….

·
Registered
538 Posts
yeah,there are still hills to climb. if you don't mind hauling your machines to the dunes a couple miles away tugman state park has electric hookups with a dump station at the entrance to the campground.riley ranch has dune access ,it looks pretty decent.i have only driven through it. spinreel is my favorite but they don't have hookups ,we stay there and drive over to tugman to shower.

·
Registered
642 Posts
There are some hook ups at winchester bay on the left as you are heading to the dunes. They are protected from the wind and you can ride your ATV or UTV'S to the dunes. I stay at the winchester bay in, if anyone wants there number let me know. If the pass doesn't have that much snow on it i might try to head over. Mt. Bachlor already has over a foot of snow on it and they are saying it is going to be a cold and wet winter. I am hoping for 2-3 feet of snow in town this year.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks for all of the info guys….as time gets closer, i will have to see if anyone will be around when we head over. It is always nice to have someone with a good knowledge of the area to ride with and point you in the right direction…..

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you bet….we have to plan months in advance or we will never end up doing it due to other commitments and our careers….By January or so, we will have it all setup and will definitely keep in touch.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Oregon dunes KOA in North Bend. Full hookups and you drive right from your campsite to the sand. Plus Steve's ATV is right there so if you need fuel or spare parts your set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
thanks man…I will look into that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
thanks man…I will look into that.

What part of Idaho are you from??? You may have heard of a little sand dune area called St. Anthony?? I'll trade with ya, you come over here and ride our dunes and I'll come over there and ride yours. :)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What part of Idaho are you from??? You may have heard of a little sand dune area called St. Anthony?? I'll trade with ya, you come over here and ride our dunes and I'll come over there and ride yours. :)
Yea, I have heard of them…just haven't been over there yet. It's 5 hours to there and 6 1/2 to the Oregon dunes…..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
St. Anthony makes the Oregon coast look pathetic. It's an 11hr drive for me... Only 6 to the coast. I prefer the weather over here as it gets HOT and dusty over there, but the dunes are huge compared to here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Also, the Oregon dunes AKA Coos Bay is the only dunes on the coast that you can ride on the beach. Florence and Winchester have no beach access... For those wondering.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Also, the Oregon dunes AKA Coos Bay is the only dunes on the coast that you can ride on the beach. Florence and Winchester have no beach access... For those wondering.

You can ride on the beach at Florence.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Florence has about 3 miles of beach you can ride on. Speed limit is 25mph. Area from the Jetty south 1 mile is only open during certain times. South of the riding area is also closed. Roads / trails from the dunes to the beach are wide open sand, and often whooped out. Some of trails between the beach and dunes are tight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm interested but don't want to trailer down into a big rainstorm and have to sit in the motorhome all week. Pencil me in for the trip but it the weather goes to s&*t I'll probably cancel. I love the dunes and the area. What dates are you actually going to be at Riley's? PM me it you want?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts