Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed down to Coos Bay for the week of Thanksgiving. Gonna break in the new Mav. and hang out with some cool Peeps.

Anyone else in the neighborhood?:smile:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
How is the weather over there that time of year??? I am planning a trip to the Oregon coast for next spring but haven't figured out the dates quite yet....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Its Oregon - plan on probable overcast, wind, cold, possible rain or even rare snow. 40s at nite, 40s to 60s during the day. And sunshine, blue sky, great riding. In changes around here by the hour and by the mile. Its always good riding though, but you may have to wait an hour.
We are in Eugene.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Its Oregon - plan on probable overcast, wind, cold, possible rain or rare snow. And sunshine, blue sky, great riding. In changes around here by the hour and by the mile. Its always good riding though, but you may have to wait an hour.
Haha...I travel to Portland for work a lot so I know about the rain. Is the coast the same way as far as seasons go. I know it is obviously more unpredictable but want to know when is a good time to plan a trip over there but not during any of the big events. I would prefer to go when there are less people around......I am not a big fan of crowds....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha...I travel to Portland for work a lot so I know about the rain. Is the coast the same way as far as seasons go. I know it is obviously more unpredictable but want to know when is a good time to plan a trip over there but not during any of the big events. I would prefer to go when there are less people around......I am not a big fan of crowds....
September is the BEST month for the dunes. We take our annual two week vacation down there in Sept righ tafter the kids go back to school. No crowds and smooth sand.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
September is the BEST month for the dunes. We take our annual two week vacation down there in Sept righ tafter the kids go back to school. No crowds and smooth sand.
Thanks man.....

Reactions: BigTruck

·
Registered
619 Posts
In June-Sept if you go during the week there won't be any crowds. The crowds start showing up friday evening at Wichester bay, that is the place i like to ride.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
oh I wish brother, I wish!! while on a tour of the NW last july we stopped after getting our max in Portland at ocean dunes??koa there. not sure the name of the place, wow. loved the weather and rides on the beach. wish I could head back up there now. as to Portland, SUCKS!!!!!!! traffic at 2 pm was terrible, worse than LA....lol

is that coos bay where im talking about???

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh I wish brother, I wish!! while on a tour of the NW last july we stopped after getting our max in Portland at ocean dunes??koa there. not sure the name of the place, wow. loved the weather and rides on the beach. wish I could head back up there now. as to Portland, SUCKS!!!!!!! traffic at 2 pm was terrible, worse than LA....lol

is that coos bay where im talking about???

Oregon dunes KOA! Thats where we have always stayed on our trips... That is until they opened Riley Ranch. Riley has direct dunes access with no pavement travel. We will probably stay at the KOA for our two weeks in Sept. only because they have sewer hookups where Riley doesnt. Love the Oregon dunes!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We always sand camp, its cheap especially if you have a group & your right on the sand(no alcohol thou). Riley is cool but you still have to ride to the dunes & they only have water/power hook ups - no sewer which is a pain. KOA is expensive, they're the only ones with full hook ups in the Coos area, but you still have to ride to the dunes, some on pavement. There's also the Myrtle Wood factory, pavement parking lot, no hook ups & still have to ride to the dunes. The Coast is always unpredictable, September is the best riding month but we go anytime between June - Oct, We've been going for over 15 years & the weather is always a roll of the dice,just never know what your going to get. Coos is our favorite spot up there.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wifey said we could go but won't leave until Friday. We will watch the weather and come if it is going to be somewhat dry.

·
Registered
538 Posts
coos bay is my favorite place in oregon to ride,we have been riding there since 1998 and i still don't get tired of it. we stay at spinreel for a week every july.it gets very windy in the open dunes that time of year but there are so many trails to ride it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
coos bay is my favorite place in oregon to ride,we have been riding there since 1998 and i still don't get tired of it. we stay at spinreel for a week every july.it gets very windy in the open dunes that time of year but there are so many trails to ride it doesn't really matter.
So which location do you recommend for a dune rookie and his family. Coos bay, Winchester Bay, etc….I have been to some smaller dunes around were I live and down to little Sahara in Utah (on quads) but nowhere major with the Maverick yet.

I am more into the rolling hills and trails than just flat out hill climbs even though the videos of Banshee hill look pretty fun…..

We have a travel trailer so hook ups would be nice…...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts