Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havnt had my Maverick out much since summer, but every once in a while I'll fire it up and back it out of the garage. I've noticed a small puddle of coolant on the ground the past few times. Its been too cold for me to investigate the issue but has anyone experienced this? The dealer I bought it from is 2 hours away and the one closest to me is full of a bunch of asshats so im refraining from having to take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine kept having a little leak on the drivers side upper radiator hose. If it sat for a few days, it would leave a little stain on the shop floor. When I took it in for the first service, I told them about it. All they did was top off the coolant, with the wrong coolant I might add. When I noticed it leaking again I took the hose off, cleaned the radiator and hose connection and moved the clamp to a fresh spot, and voila, it doesn't leak anymore. I also had a Commander that had a leak at the thermostat from day one. They changed the hose that time, on my dime. So little leaks are common I guess I'm saying.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
mine leaked at the water pump...tightened up the clamp and it has been fine since.

IMG_0451.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. It's always much better when you have an idea before busting into the project. I assumed it was probably something stupid. Now if only old man winter would let up some of this blistering cold ass weather I would feel more inclined to go out in the garage.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
if it is leaking from the middle of the vehicle it is most likely at the water pump. If it iix more forward than it is probably on of the clamps up by the air box

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I noticed I'm having the same issue. My maverick hasn't been driven in months to dang cold but when I put my hitch on it I jacked it up I noticed on passenger side in the middle of machine there was a puddle of coolant on floor. Just haven't dug into it yet. It's freezing here in Michigan. Keep us updated when you find it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah its directly in the middle, so it probably is the WP. I'm not gonna mess with it until it warms up, with propane prices as high as they are right now im not gonna bother trying to warm it up in there lol.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Tell me all about that crap called propane it's nuts. I put in a multifuel furnace I burn wood pellets it's saved me thousands of dollars in not having to buy that propane.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me all about that crap called propane it's nuts. I put in a multifuel furnace I burn wood pellets it's saved me thousands of dollars in not having to buy that propane.
LOL. I did the same thing this year. I actually just bought my house last april and I was informed that on the cold months the previous owner would burn through a whole 330gal tank in a month. In September I went out and bought the biggest Pellet stove/furnace I could find. I looked into the Multifuels at first but from most people that I talked to they said they always just ended up burning pellets. Easier to move and store and you dont have to worry about mice eating the corn. I've already been through 4 tons this year, just picked up my fifth. I'm sure I will end up with atleast going through 6 for the year...ugh

65,000 BTU of Pellet burning inferno..:big smile:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
wow....how much do the pellets cost you?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I guess that isn't bad compared to propane or stove oil.....hell I pay $10 for a 15LB bag of pellets for my Traeger smoker!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ya there around 3.50 for a 40lb bag. The cheaper pellets you can get for 169 a ton. I pay 219 a ton for all hard wood pellets. It would cost me $3000 a yr to heat with propane a yr and the pellets cost me 1500 to 1800 a yr to heat my house a yr. this yr it's upwards to 1800 because it's so cold. Last yr I spend 1400. The only thing in my house that uses propane is the stove. I haven't bought propane in 2yrs. It's more work but the savings alone is worth it. I've saved enough money so far since burning pellets it's paid for my pellet furnace so it's like getting the furnace for free on the savings alone. Mine is 120,000 btu and will heat a house up to 3500sqft.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
sounds like a nice setup....it doesn't get nearly as cold out here in Idaho as were you are but my natural gas bill is less than $200 a month for the 4 1/2 months I have to run the heat....my house is 3 stories and round 4,000 sq/ft.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya there around 3.50 for a 40lb bag. The cheaper pellets you can get for 169 a ton. I pay 219 a ton for all hard wood pellets. It would cost me $3000 a yr to heat with propane a yr and the pellets cost me 1500 to 1800 a yr to heat my house a yr. this yr it's upwards to 1800 because it's so cold. Last yr I spend 1400. The only thing in my house that uses propane is the stove. I haven't bought propane in 2yrs. It's more work but the savings alone is worth it. I've saved enough money so far since burning pellets it's paid for my pellet furnace so it's like getting the furnace for free on the savings alone. Mine is 120,000 btu and will heat a house up to 3500sqft.

Way to one up me! Haha. I didn't even know they made them that big. Mine is advertised to heat 2500 sq ft and mine is only about 1900. I do have 12ft ceilings though. I've ran my propane on the extremely cold nights only to keep the pellet stove from running so hard. What model stove is that? I'll have to sell mine and upgrade next year

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's made by us stove, the newest model they have is the 8500 same as mine but has a solid door no glass and the exhaust comes out the side instead of the back. You do have to have a cold air return off of these furnaces tied into your existing one. The pic I put up I didn't install it yet. I have the 6500

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
sounds like a nice setup....it doesn't get nearly as cold out here in Idaho as were you are but my natural gas bill is less than $200 a month for the 4 1/2 months I have to run the heat....my house is 3 stories and round 4,000 sq/ft.
It's been so cold this year it's driving me nuts. I went snowmobiling in the upper peninsula of Michigan and the highs were at 0 so you can imagine the windchill at 60 or 70 mph. ya my house is 2100 sqft and it's a two story cape cod.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
that's just too damn cold!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Lol it's not bad if your used to it. I did have to get hand gauntlets for my sled. When it got dark out my hands froze even with the handlebar heaters on high. Felt like they were frost bit. Best 50 bucks I ever spent on those they kept my hands toasty warm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts