Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies in advance but I need a little help as I am purchasing tomorrow. Just found this forum about an hour ago after being a google & YouTube maniac the last week doing research. I Would research this forum further but out of time.We were in the dealership today and are all set to buy a new 2019 X3 X RS
Turbo R for $22,800 tomorrow. Looking at all the different models has my head spinning. Am I buying the right model?

Found a new 2017 turbo R for $15,900 and a 2019 turbo R for $18k.

I would still be on my modded ATV were it not for injuries. Priority 1 is ride comfort. ATVs are just way too painful to ride. IIRC the XRS has the top of the line suspension which is the primary draw for us to the XRS. I got to thinking tonight why not buy the 17 turbo R, save $7k and mail the shocks to shock therapy to work their full RIS magic. Ya, 154 hp in the 17 model. I could always tune to get up around the 172 range if 154 isn’t enough. We ride 100% Oregon Coast Dunes. Fast desert riding was my love but had to give it up due to injury.

I know I am oversimplifying the two models. I am sure there are numerous differences but I could use some experienced minds on the matter.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully you will have pity on me and throw some knowledge my way.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
You might appreciate seat upgrade also. Whatever accessories you want, I'd suggest buying upfront and letting the dealer install. These things are not pleasant to work on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
19 xrs has smart lock also. Get the xrs without a doubt. Send shocks to a tuner and you will be set

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the base model 120HP turbo for $15,400 OTD. Add about $1200 worth of mods for the 185HP kit and I believe you're still money ahead. Could also send the shocks out to ST and you'd still be money ahead.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Still has base shocks and no smart lock. Add that in with only being 64” wide and you’re nothing ahead if not in the hole. Literally no comparison what so ever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Base shocks can be upgraded. Smark lock doesn't make a difference for trail riding. Can't be wider than 65" on the trails.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
The 19, also has the more powerful steering , lots of the 17 guys have upgraded to a smartlock front diff and then the seering and the shock valving has changed also so you have a better ride out of the box

youll be way happier with the 19 and money ahead in the end

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Smartlock is the way to go
I changed mine out on my 17
Very happy with it so far

Definitely a must have upgrade
Eventually Going to change out the diff on my wifes car as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
635 Posts
Base shocks can be upgraded. Smark lock doesn't make a difference for trail riding. Can't be wider than 65" on the trails.
Upgraded to what? Revalved qs3? Still not as good as stock bypass. Who just trail rides? For just trails you be fine with a sport. Visco lock is not good for much around here. Different strokes for different folks I guess

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Do the 19' you wont regret it. Also you mentioned you did high speed desert on your quad. Get the shock therapy on the xrs and then go to the same place you used to ride the 4 wheelers and you will sh#$ yourself!!!! Most of us here came up from quads and early on there was no adrenaline rush with the 800, 900 and even the non turbo 1000 machines. These things with the turbo and 24" of travel destroy what we used to do and at the same time pack a cooler and you can disappear for the day, not just a few hours like we used to do and not beat up your body.

Make sure you budget money for paddles, coms, harness's, door wedges or new full doors and some type of LED lighting. Also spare belt and a belt gauge if you ride sand

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for stepping in and helping out a newb. We brought the 19 xrs home yesterday. The folks at Florence Motorsports aka Florence Yamaha were great folks to deal with. We have shopped there for years but first time we purchased a machine from them. Very good experience.

Hope to sneak over to the dunes in Florence in the next couple of weeks. We have to go over the cascades to get to the dunes and winter is beginning to move in. I hate towing on snowy, icy mountain passes so it will be next spring for the next ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about the wacky orientation on the photos. It was fine last night. I was trying to find a way to delete the photo while editing and cant figure it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts