Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

141 - 160 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Oh yeah, I told them I had a Kenwood TM271-a, and I think they said that the one they have for the TM 261 will fit? I'll let you know what they sent. I'm going to try and install my intercom this weekend too.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
So different radio's have different plug configurations for the intercon interface cable? It would be better if they were all a standard configuration.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
So different radio's have different plug configurations for the intercon interface cable? It would be better if they were all a standard configuration.
I would think most use the universal 3.5mm cord to plug into where you can plug in an external speaker. But, I think the wiring can be different where the mic plugs in?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the Info. Let me know how the intercom and everything meshes with the kenwood radio. I am liking the price of that setup but want to make sure everything works together. Looks like you are the guinea pig!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Alright! I got the Mav wired for communication! The only set back is the intercom's were supposed to come with 6 pin to 3.5mm wire for the iPod. Instead it they with a 3.5x3.5mm cord. I emailed them, so hopefully they'll say no problem and ship out the right ones. If not those little adapter cords are $30 each. I was also able to get the wife's race radio going by doing a factory reset in the menu. It musta got a puter virus? Haha. I'll just halfta reprogram all the race channels into the memory. I then did a radio check between my Mav with my helmet, and the wife's rzr4, and it sounded perfect! Very clear! I had a $100 modified motorcycle intercom before this, and there's no comparison. Tomorrow I'll install the wife's intercom in her car.
So, my setup is a Kenwood TM271-a (current model is a TM281-a) that normally is around $170, but you can often get on sale for $129 or $139. The antennae and wire is another $40. I got the Rugged Radios 550 intercom, which is currently on sale for $450, (I paid $385 cause they had a sale of 15% off) and comes with two helmet kits that you can install yourself. I wired two motocross helmets, and it was like they were made for it. I also wired our two full face pumper helmets, and I had to cut out some foam around where the speakers go. Also had a hard time getting the mics in. With the intercoms, you also have to buy PTT buttons/cords for $30 and up, and race radio patch cords for around $60. The intercom comes with everything you need for talking to a passenger only. If you have a radio, then you have to communicate with the seller what you have and find out what you need to have the setup that you want. Here's a few pics. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376185080.647101.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376185093.163916.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376185104.439146.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376185116.797887.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the post. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Nice write up

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
I was working ALL weekend,but at least it was on a boat. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my 686 intercom and vertex 2200 installed. works great with the headsets, a little quiet with helmet kit but still very good. I find it difficult to find a setting where the engine noise doesn't activate the VOX and where you don't have to yell to activate it. any advice on that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I got my 686 intercom and vertex 2200 installed. works great with the headsets, a little quiet with helmet kit but still very good. I find it difficult to find a setting where the engine noise doesn't activate the VOX and where you don't have to yell to activate it. any advice on that would be appreciated.
Did you get the DSP chip installed?
It should cancel the engine noise out so you wont have that problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did go with the dsp chip and its not the engine noise when talking its that the wind/engine noise activates the VOX and if you adjust the sensitivity enough so it doesn't happen then your yelling to activate the VOX. I cant find a happy middle ground. its not terrible just cuts in the vox every once in a while when you really step on it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
I did go with the dsp chip and its not the engine noise when talking its that the wind/engine noise activates the VOX and if you adjust the sensitivity enough so it doesn't happen then your yelling to activate the VOX. I cant find a happy middle ground. its not terrible just cuts in the vox every once in a while when you really step on it.
I will check mine when I get it back.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 · (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed this type of problem? If you have, what type of intercom do you have?
The reason I'm asking is to see if this is typical with all models of intercoms or just the push button 686.
Also I was told that the intercoms with the dial knobs were easier to adjust.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Has anyone else noticed this type of problem? If you have, what type of intercom do you have?
The reason I'm asking is to see if this is typical with all models of intercoms or just the push button 686.
Also I was told that the intercoms with the dial knobs were easier to adjust.
I have the same issue with the 686. Set the vox for hauling ass and you have to re-adjust or yell at lower speeds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
are those of you running the rugged intercom with the control knobs having to make adjustments also based on speed to keep the engine from cutting the VOX in and out?

141 - 160 of 241 Posts