Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
On all of the radios you unplug the mic, and then the intercom plugs in there. So yes, ptt works. You want the same frequencies as everyone else so you can communicate with anyone you're riding with. I forget what band the race radios use, but that's the one you want.
The race guys use VHF. The radios require an interface cable to connect them to the intercom. A word of warning on interface cables some radios require a somewhat expensive (70-100 dollars) to make them work. If you are not a radio wonk like me you are probbably better off buying a package.
I have argued on other forums that the race frequencies make little sense for play riding heres why. The race frequencies are VHF meaning that anyone I want to talk to needs a VHF radio and there are not a lot of cheap alternatives. UHF on the other hand actually opens up a world of inexpensive handhelds that work on the FRS/GMRS ( I bought a 4 pack at Walmart for 39 bucks a couple of weeks ago.). The beauty of this setup is you can have spare radios to lend to people that ride with you to help keep in contact. I used these on my kids quads with a 20 dollar helmet kit and mom can yell slow down whenever she wants.
btw I use the Yaesu FTM-10R in my rig with a really well designed antenna system and I can hear everyone from Gordons well and to the beach store.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Got it but they offer both UHF & VHF. So can the freq's be the same with either unit?
You would need a dual band to have both and the radios they offer are mono band buisness radios.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Maybe this is one reason why the DSP chip is important? To filter out the wind noise that comes in thru the ear speaker?
The DSP chip has nothing to do with the aux or music in on your intercom. It strictly samples your voice for transmission. The entire funtion of the module is to remove background noise from your mic.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So it only filter's the voice from the mic and nothing from the music playing thru the intercom?
Exactly. You will here the DSP hunting for a signal when it has no input. I agree with Mega the helmet speakers suck if that sounds better than your stereo you probably did the world a favor by getting rid of it.:big smile:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are ear buds better?
If you hear the DSP hunting for a signal what is the different from that vs wind or background noise?
The only way I know how to describe it is.... The sound a Cylon made in the original Battlestar Galactica. The DSP helps other people understand you it will not help with ambient noise in your helmet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't think you ever got a good answer on PTT when using the ham type radio. The radio should not matter on PTT because those cables will connect to the back of the intercom. I'm sure you'll wind up with VOX but what makes that important is you will use VOX to talk to passengers in your car and PTT to talk over the radio to other cars. I think by federal communications laws you can't run hot mic over a radio and that's where PTT comes in. The DSP chip would definitely be nice but good headsets with good mics make a big difference too. I'm running a RP600 model with David Clarke headsets and the comm is very clear without the chip.
Actually the intercom cannot distinguish between intercom traffic and radio traffic. If you had VOX on the radio it would transmit every time you spoke. Dave Clark headsets are the way to go. Unfortunately when you go to the dunes you would have 1500+ dollars worth of headsets sitting in camp. The cool thing about the high end headsets is you can get bose and klipsch drivers for them. Then you can start talking about throwing the audio system away....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts