Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about adding a communication radio for the upcoming desert season.
The 2 setups I have heard of is a PCI & Rugged. Anyone know the pro's & cons of each system?
Or what should I get to make sure the system works the best it can. I dont want to make the mistake of saying....damn I wish I would have known that before I bought mine. I'm not trying to start a war between manufacturer's, just want some user opinions.Any helpful info is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much the same. Rugged has some great deals and gives forum discounts.

I use the rugged 50watt in my maverick and the handheld 2watt in my teryx4. Both work great. The handheld will save you money, it will only broadcast about two miles though. But when are you out of sight of the person you are talking to?
Where did you mount your rugged?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We run a Kenwood TM-281 ham radio, modified to handle the race radio frequencies. Cost about $170 from The Ham outlet or something like that. Then get an intercom system From one of the two places that you mentioned, and your set.
Whats the difference between a ham radio & these radio's?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On sale right now for a buck fifty!
I googled "ham radio outlet" It's the first one that popped up, on their site I searched TM – 281, the page right here in the picture popped up and that's the one that we've been running. Well, we've actually been running the 271. But my boss when ordering a few of them half a year ago called me and said that the 271 was no longer available, it's now the 281. So he got a few of them and Google the mod for them and they're working just as good as the ones we have. They're the same as any race radio that the vendors sell, and they hook up to an intercom the same way.
Can you hook up a PTT to this radio?
The intercom is what I would hook my Iphone up to for music correct?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the difference between UHF vs VHF? (excluding the obvious freq difference)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On all of the radios you unplug the mic, and then the intercom plugs in there. So yes, ptt works. You want the same frequencies as everyone else so you can communicate with anyone you're riding with. I forget what band the race radios use, but that's the one you want.
Got it but they offer both UHF & VHF. So can the freq's be the same with either unit?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You would need a dual band to have both and the radios they offer are mono band buisness radios.
So if you have a VHF setup you can only communicate with other VHF's and UHF can only communicate with other UHF's. Just the UHF's are less expensive so more none race people use them. Like a walkie talkie.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The race guys use VHF. The radios require an interface cable to connect them to the intercom. A word of warning on interface cables some radios require a somewhat expensive (70-100 dollars) to make them work. If you are not a radio wonk like me you are probbably better off buying a package.
I was looking at a package and that is what made me ask more ?'s. At a cost of $1300 bucks, I don't want to make a mistake. That's a lot of money so I want to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In the glovebox for now, untill my utvinc radio box is complete.
Where will you mount it with there box?
Will they be selling the boxes or is it a custom one off item for you?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not costom. Look on their comander page. Not sure why they dont have it on the maverick page.
That's what I did. It looks like it fit's there ok. Hopefully enough knee room.
I also like their new GPS plate, but use it to mount an intercom & radio instead.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah I saw that plate on their website but was not sure where it mounted.
Thanks got the pic.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have a rugged 600 unit for sale with headsets and helmet setup for $300.
Can you send me a PM with exactly what model and accessories you have?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I suggest the RRP686 which is about 100 (depending on who you buy it from) more then the RRP660. Either one of these units are good to go but do yourself a favor and purchase one of these......

View attachment 2823

I have sold several of these setups to my friends and camping buddies, after them hearing my setup which had it they all upgraded to the DSP later. It's cheaper if you purchase it with the radio plus they install it for you although its not the hard to install.
That's funny, I was just reading about that chip and wondering if it was worth it. You said you sold these to your buddies so do you have these for sale? Does this plug into the radio wiring or on the inside?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
There was a guy that posted earlier selling a used Rugged radio or intercom but he hasn't replied back.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah I was reading about this chip on the rugged website. $ 200 seems like a lot but I haven't had a radio before so I don't know the difference. If rugged installs on new radio they don't charge for the install. So in your opinion, is the cost worth it?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So the chip is installed inside the intercom and helps clean up the voice transmission but does it also help with the radio voices?

Reactions: mojosxs

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Also with the helmet kit, do the speakers give good sound, since I also want to listen to music thru my iPhone?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The helmets kits rock the music.. True story my buddy an insane system in his rear only to take it out once he installed the rugged setup. Like I said I'm not making any money here so it doesn't help me to push this stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts