Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know I have a full StM rage 6 on my Mav that I took off my mod commander. I thought my stm was setup properly but after a trip to the dunes last weekend I realized it was not. The first trip this season to the dunes the sand was wet and the differences between how my clutch performed on the road and dirt and the sand was barely noticeable. But I noticed that on top I was hitting the rev limit and went and had it adjusted again. Those adjustments tested well on the road but only got me to 7200 rpms in the dunes which were very dry and soft this weekend. I immediately called Adam and Icky and myself found that I had the wrong primary and secondary spring, helix, and weights in the clutch and that's why I was ok in the dirt or road and not in the dry sand vs wet sand.

Adam at Airdam is the man and I don't think anyone knows these clutches as well as him. He is sending the correct setup out which will solve this problem. I know others have had issues with their STM setup as well and this is what I found from Adam.

• The secondary spring he recommends is a gold not the yellow that I had. The gold works very well in the sand but will help carry the same rpms on the dirt or road. In other words once setup properly like the stock clutch it will not need to be modified in the sand vs the dirt

The primary spring was also wrong but I can't remember what color he is sending.

In order for you Mav to run as good as stock it has to be in the peak power band of the motor. When you take off your RPMs need to be at or near 8000 and when you shift out it should stay at or near 8000 rpms all the way up to max speed just like stock. The Mav has a very tight peak HP rpm band and if you don't stay in it you will be slower than stock.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The weighting in relationship to your mods is also very crucial. We're talking a gram of weight difference is all the difference in the world. It's like tuning that ole trx250R I had racing speedway

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weighting in relationship to your mods is also very crucial. We're talking a gram of weight difference is all the difference in the world. It's like tuning that ole trx250R I had racing speedway
Oh yes it is

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires and grip have alot to do with it too
When Adam tuned my stm on the commander I ran several different sand tires before I settle on the correct ones and it didn't matter much what size tire or the number of paddles I ran within 100 of the same rpms.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Please let us know what primary spring he recommends. I too run the gold secondary spring (started with the yellow from my Renegade) and currently have the lime green primary spring.

It's close and works pretty well in the trails, but there is room for improvement. Won't get a chance to hit the dunes until the spring.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts