Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is about a RZR I had in the shop and posted on the RZR forum but the exact same thing applies here and on Mavericks.

One the forum members, Jengindream1 who lives just a hour and half away brought her primary clutch over here for me to put a new bearing in and a Dalton clutch kit in. Thought she was bringing whole RZR but anyway she got it back home and was not getting the RPM she was supposed to.

We talked on the phone then I asked her to bring the whole vehicle over here.

As soon as I saw it I knew what it was, it was snorkeled and was not getting enough air so it was running rich therefore not able to pull the RPM it was supposed to. It also has 28" tires which I did know but a spare tire and carrier, a rear roll cage, roof, half windshield, winch and netting in back window that grabs air. All of these are a load on it.

The clutching set ups are a guide and assume you have a stock vehicle with big tires, run in sand or elevation. You have to take the other parts into play yourself and usually run the weights lighter to compensate for it. Thank goodness the Dalton kits are easy to adjust with just set screws though. (RZR model not MAverick, you change rivets)

I removed a set screw from clutch, put a S belt on it and welded a bung in the exhaust to screw a O2 sensor in to measure air/fuel ratio. Running rich you ask??? yes high 9's to low 10's at wide open throttle. It will never have enough power to pull RPM running that rich no matter what we do to the clutch.

She has a fuel programmer she didn't have with her but mailed it to me so I am going to lean it out and run a air/fuel of around 13 at wide open and get it to pull RPM.

I have warned her that the snorkel which cuts air flow even though I am cutting the fuel to match will have the vehicle down on power but with it leaned up it will be better. Only way to get that lost power back is to make the intake snorkel bigger than 2" or remove it. This is a commercially available snorkel so one would think they would have worked that out for her. I don't know of one who does but they sure should.

I got her programmer in, and it was a brand I don't recommend and would not take enough fuel away, only 20%, needed more. Got the air/fuel to mid 11's at wide open and it really changed the way it ran, much better but still leaving a lot on the table. The snorkels are too restrictive still cutting air therefore power but at least with the fuel programmer it was much better.

Moral of the story, lots more goes into getting your vehicle set up right than you think. Luckily for Hunterworks she lives close enough for me to fix it right or she would have been down on Dalton kits and Hunterworks when the issue was unrelated while she did need a clutch kit due to her tires and weight of the vehicle to slow the shift out down and get lost RPM back from the loads put on it.

Todd

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks Todd….good info and details of the problem.

·
Registered
875 Posts
This brings up a good point that I have yet to see addressed on a snorkeled Maverick. Has anybody ran a Wideband O2 sensor setup to see if they're running pig rich or not? I would love to snorkel mine but not at the cost of losing power and possibly washing out the cylinders.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This brings up a good point that I have yet to see addressed on a snorkeled Maverick. Has anybody ran a Wideband O2 sensor setup to see if they're running pig rich or not? I would love to snorkel mine but not at the cost of losing power and possibly washing out the cylinders.
Simply get the Gen 4 controller for the Maverick and it fixes it. I have not got them on the site yet though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts