Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok need advice on clutches.is clutching needed do to weight or over all tire diameter.or is it all in the same,my theory is less weight less stress but some say even with less weight taller tires still create stress but to me it all in the end is rotating mass,need professional opinions,i want the 100% clutch lock mod but some say it will not benefit us with larger tires,me i run 30" zillas by nine which weigh in at 25lbs a piece taller yes but lighter than factory,

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Clutch recalibration is definitely needed when going to larger tires due to gear ratio changes that occur as a result. I would say the same applies if you add a considerable amount of weight; the engine needs some mechanical advantage to compensate. I have the Dalton kit on mine, and this was one of the best upgrades I made. I'm now pulling off my primary to send in for the lockup mod. Belt temps I observe under high load situations confirm to me there is way too much slipping going on in the stock setup.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm goin send mine in too,can't hurt nothing,I like the idea of the clutch spinning at the same speed and more belt bite

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We will always have problems with the factory setup with new tires and wheels lol but hope the 100% lockup mod will fix it

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think I'm goin send mine in too,can't hurt nothing,I like the idea of the clutch spinning at the same speed and more belt bite
I've got the dalton kit and the 100% lock up. My belt temps run between 125 & 160 farenhight when running hard. I love the better bight on the belt. shoe

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've got the dalton kit and the 100% lock up. My belt temps run between 125 & 160 farenhight when running hard. I love the better bight on the belt. shoe
That's awesome. Exactly the results I'm after. Can't wait to get mine back!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope as more people get there clutches back they will fill us in on how there working,with what type of tires size and weight,what kind of environment mud,sand,trails or what not

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok I have about 100 miles on my clutch lock up mod. I run in the Oregon sand dunes. I have the EFX Sand slingers and buffs on the front. I do no notice any difference from the lock up. And I installed a new gates carbon belt when I installed the lock up mod. And the belt is slipping. At wide open throttle rpm is 7900, engagement is good. I feel the lock up didn't fix my problem. So I am staying with the stock primary and going with a STM secondary and OEM belt.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ok I have about 100 miles on my clutch lock up mod. I run in the Oregon sand dunes. I have the EFX Sand slingers and buffs on the front. I do no notice any difference from the lock up. And I installed a new gates carbon belt when I installed the lock up mod. And the belt is slipping. At wide open throttle rpm is 7900, engagement is good. I feel the lock up didn't fix my problem. So I am staying with the stock primary and going with a STM secondary and OEM belt.
Paxman did you change weights or just add lock up mod?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds like you might need some clutch work as in a kit to match your tires and riding style as well as a Real Drive belt like the OEM Maverick belt, the Gates are Ok but compound is to hard for the type of driving you claim to be doing.
Our mod allows the clutch to do it's best job with whatever weights you are running.
Sounds like you might be forcing the slip, which is not because the sheaves are playing catch up as they are not.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Please send me info I have requested several times not sure if something is up w my email but I have looked in junk file.

[email protected]

I'm going to send a commander and maverick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts