Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
the original 6061 spyder started coming apart on the mavericks.

they upgraded to the 7075 aluminum spyder to fix that. and the new 7075 spyder is a great deal stronger than the older 6061 spyder. although for extreme racing, or prolonged abusive riding, extremely aggressive riders, the hardened steel spyder is the only way to keep the clutch together. the guys who keep their foot in it for prolonged periods of time running high RPMs of the maverick engine, which we can only guestimate is the harmonics of the engine, is cracking the aluminum spyder and pulling the clutch apart. we have not seen a steel spyder come apart yet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
^^ what he said. I'm on the road, on my phone. Couldn't type up as detailed of a message.

Most do not want to even consider spending the extra money to swap out the fixed sheave so 99% of the time it isn't worth mentioning. Almost like $180 wasted if you plan on going with an STM primary later down the road.

·
Registered
711 Posts
yes but you will have to send your clutch in, and let them upgrade it. i have sent in two and i think it was about $300-$350 to upgrade to the hardened steel spyder

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Can the mavericks be ran without the clutch cover in the dunes?
I took my clutch cover off the day it came home and I have 270 miles on it now all at Glamis and I never run clutch covers since Im not going in the water and the Belts and clutches run cool and don't Blow up. I have a scatter shield on my Turbo Car and Im gonna either cut my Stock clutch cover in half or just build another scatter shield. If I do blow a belt it will be fast to change out. But I don't see it happening yet and We run the Piss out of them on our dune rides.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I took my clutch cover off the day it came home and I have 270 miles on it now all at Glamis and I never run clutch covers since Im not going in the water and the Belts and clutches run cool and don't Blow up. I have a scatter shield on my Turbo Car and Im gonna either cut my Stock clutch cover in half or just build another scatter shield. If I do blow a belt it will be fast to change out. But I don't see it happening yet and We run the Piss out of them on our dune rides.
Warlock, are you running stock clutches in a 2013?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, Is the cvtech primary a two piece like the stock unit? If so, what is the advantages of it compared to stock?

·
Registered
711 Posts
no the inner and outer halves are locked together. advantages are a lower gear ratio at take-off. more clamping force at engagement than stock. lighter weight than factory so the engine responds much faster and accelerates the machine much faster. larger diameter than the factory clutch so you gain a taller gear ratio at full shift. a fully sealed one-way bearing that does not have to be serviced like the OEM one-way bearing

here is a video showing how it goes together

·
Registered
410 Posts
no the inner and outer halves are locked together. advantages are a lower gear ratio at take-off. more clamping force at engagement than stock. lighter weight than factory so the engine responds much faster and accelerates the machine much faster. larger diameter than the factory clutch so you gain a taller gear ratio at full shift. a fully sealed one-way bearing that does not have to be serviced like the OEM one-way bearing

here is a video showing how it goes together

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I talked to a factory rider the other day who races a cross country series. He said they run the stock primary with the STM Secondary and have no problems, shit he won the series.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I talked to a factory rider the other day who races a cross country series. He said they run the stock primary with the STM Secondary and have no problems, shit he won the series.
I've setup several racers like this. Some like it, some don't. Really just a preference of the racer. We have adjustable flyweights we can run with the stock primary and pair it up with an STM Secondary as well.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
yup ive heard a lot of the racers running like this !

the stm primary needs to be rebuilt to much for them

·
Registered
424 Posts
yup ive heard a lot of the racers running like this !

the stm primary needs to be rebuilt to much for them
I only know of a select few that have issues. I had quite a few out there with STM Primaries with the Steel spiders that didn't have any issues. The key to keeping these things going is maintenance. A lot of people neglect that when it comes to clutching. It's not different that any other part on the car.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I only know of a select few that have issues. I had quite a few out there with STM Primaries with the Steel spiders that didn't have any issues. The key to keeping these things going is maintenance. A lot of people neglect that when it comes to clutching. It's not different that any other part on the car.
ya I see a lot of different things on FB , on the clutches and racers but seems the new steel spider is the key !

do the internal parts wear out fast tho ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
what is the proper way to maintenance them,

41 - 55 of 55 Posts