Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys Ive been reading allot about the maverick clutch needless to say Im a bit worried. My winch roof windshield low sport and CT gusset have been recieved... Now I want to make this clutch trustable I ride alone in WV ALLOT! I do not wish to be stranded alone. I am not a racer I do play a little in the mud and most of all If I tango with a rzr1000 xp I do not want to lose by much. That being said Can I go with a kit dalton or EPI I'm fine with 28" tires I really do not need anything more for what I do... OR can I do a secondary or primary upgrade to stm or QSC .... Is it possible to do one at a time primary then secondary or do you have to do both at once... And if you can will it help with clutch issues...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had the same concerns. I've got a Dalton kit in mine and really like it so far. 400 miles, including 3 sand dune trips with no issues.

Reactions: Snapper692

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those dune seem much harder one these clutches than trail riding, even the polaris seem to have much more failure rates out in the dunes than mudding and trail...I will put 300 miles in 3 days down at hatfield mccoy so its got to be tough... Is it hard to install or pretty straight up? the dalton kit? Oh and One more question what are some tools I should have that are speciality tools for the can am in the field?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Im kinda in the same boat right now trying to figure out what to do......I think for now, Im gonna run with the Dalton and see how it goes. :)

Reactions: SCOTTDMAX

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ya I think I'm going to get the dalton kit right now and see how it is 250 bucks is a lot cheaper then a new set of clutches so the way I look at it is if I don't like it then I'm out only 250 bucks and my labor.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I can't speak about the clutch kits regarding their reliability or performance, but I can say I love my QSC/STM set up. Easy to install and it gave me exactly what I needed..... No worries. Not to mention the increase of around 10rwhp. I ride the Glamis dunes and open desert so the added HP is nice to have. This season I have put a little over 400 miles on the set up with not one issue. It really depends on what you can afford.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what tools are required for install of either kit , I have my spreader in my tool kit and the primary bolt puller ? I will go with the dalton for starters see how it goes Im just a trail rider lol.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Im kinda in the same boat right now trying to figure out what to do......I think for now, Im gonna run with the Dalton and see how it goes. :)
That's kinda what I was thinkin from the start. So far I don't regret my decision!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I understand the performance upgrade on after market clutches. With that said IMO the stock is a good set up now that the recall on the primary bolt has been done. Mine has 600+ miles and not one was easy with out even a hick up. My buddy has 1300 miles on his stock clutch as well and no problems. He has changed his belt out is all. We do most of our running in the woods so no sand but some mud. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
here is the thing , if u drive some what normal flooring it up hills and racing is no big deal , flooring it up a sandy hill 5 times then parking it , heat soaks the belt breaks it down and blows up when u take off, or if u put 32 inch tires on it stick it in the nastiest mud pit around and floor it in H or L gear ur gonna smk a belt ,

all the racers are using a stm secondary($500) setup for stock primary, then changing the springs and helix out and are bullet proof , they say !

I have 700 miles stock belt stock clutch half sand miles and drivin hard I even had the original bolt then the recall with 10 slippery washers and now the recall stud ! , never had a problem some will some don't !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand that some 2014's havent had the recall done to them from the dealership how can I tell if mine was done or not?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I understand that some 2014's havent had the recall done to them from the dealership how can I tell if mine was done or not?
post a pic of the clutch bolt on the left when u remove cover

u either have a bolt with 10 washers , or a huge nut with a allen head in the end of it to lock it from over threading

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
also best thing to do after running it hard or fast, when u stop let the machine idle for few minutes to keep pushing the air thru the cvt there are fins blades on the clutches that move the air

Reactions: Hollywood

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just watched airdams youtube video on the 2014 clutch taking off the primary with the new stud kind of seems like a pain in the arse esp. to do in the field ... do you have to take your primary off to swap a belt out?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
there is a bolt that spreads the sheaves apart to make room for belt , in tool kit

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have heard good things about the clutch kits but I can't personally speak to them as i have a QSC/STM setup and love it. It made the Maverick feel like it had 10 extra HP and pulls hard everywhere. And my belt temps dropped significantly.....However, I do believe you can setup the stock clutches to work pretty well too. And now that the primary recall has been out for a while and haven't hear of any problems with it, I would feel comfortable running the stock clutches with a clutch kit in them if i was just getting my Maverick...

·
Registered
363 Posts
And now that the primary recall has been out for a while and haven't hear of any problems with it, I would feel comfortable running the stock clutches with a clutch kit in them if i was just getting my Maverick...
In that case, Ill trade you my stocker for your QSC/STM setup! :p

Reactions: heavysledz

·
Registered
415 Posts
32" Terminators, I ride nasty arse mud and creeks and trails,.. stock clutches and all, its all in the whisky foot and the "when in doubt throttle out" syndromes ....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts