• Clutches

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Re-Flash

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Exhaust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 1 11.1%

Clutch, Re-flash or Exhaust? I know... I know...

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Longcut 
#1 ·
I know this question has been asked a million times BUT the search function is worthless. :sad:

I have had my Maverick for about a year now and am looking to do some upgrades. It is currently bone stock other than the DZ sport low. Where to start? Clutches? Computer Re-flash? Exhaust?

We mainly use it for trail riding in the hills and a weekend cruiser around town/back roads.

What should be upgraded first??

#2 · (Edited)
Thank you to the one helpful soul that voted!

Reactions: dabrahams
#3 ·
I would leave it alone and enjoy it.

flash of computer will give you some more power but will remove the shaft saver, spin your clutches faster due to the higher rpms. Sure everyone wants more power, but at what cost do you want it?

Clutch kit will require some special tools and some busted knuckles. With aftermarket kits you will have to pay close attention to the wear items in you clutch more often. Which is ok if you know what to look for and be proactive at replacing the wear items. I would say if you are not breaking belts, leave it alone.

Exhaust, well you might pick up a couple hp but you for sure will pick up a headache. the loud exhaust sounds badass when you are revving it up but when you have to listen to it constantly on a long ride you will hate it.

#4 ·
Thanks Mega!

You make good point. For the riding we do, maybe I don't need to upgrade anything. I definitely do not want to decrease the longevity/functionality of my machine or components. I was mainly looking to improve on what I already have.

#5 ·
Being in MN, I have not touched my 16' Mav other than a sport low. The reason I have not is because we frequently do 4-500 mile weekends in the middle of nowhere and reliability comes before insane power. Mega pegged the nail on the head, increased power comes with a sacrifice somewhere. One member of our riding crew fiddles with his machine a ton to be the "fastest" in the group. He ALWAYS succeeds at being the fastest to break something on a long ride...

#6 ·
Thanks mericaneagle!

We have a few in our group like that as well. LOL I have been reading about the XDS primary swap and so far everything I read is good. Looks to be a good upgrade from my standard clutch without leaving the OEM side.

My better half has family in MN/WIS and I have always wanted to take my Maverick when we visit but have yet to do it. We have rode snowmobiles up there quite a bit though and love the scenery.

#7 ·
On my old 14 XRS I added both turbo clutches and I think it was a upgrade worth doing . I stuck with BRP clutches as they seem to have a longer life . After market ones will give a bit more bottom end but they don't last as long for me .
My mav gets used for everything and the turbo clutches have worked good . My buggy gets used for hunting , touring , aggressive driving , snow plowing , multiple tire sizes , and running tracks . My stock clutches were crap . Belt cooking crap

#9 ·
The more I read on the turbo swap, the more I like it. I haven't read anyone with negative comments so far. I will probably start looking for a used primary and leave it at that. We mostly cruise around on the gravel roads between our house and town on the weekends we don't trail ride. We have a township permit that allows us to ride any township roads legally.

#10 ·
I read through your post, Very informative! Thank you for the information. I definitely don't have near enough ponies for billet clutches! I need longevity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.