Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see what you guys thought. Just got back from Little Sahara in Oklahoma last weekend and got a chance to really run the Maverick hard. It does have the washer "fix" but thats it.

I have a STM Rage VI primary and secondary ready to go. Originally bought it for my Renegade but never got around to installing it. With all the Maverick clutch problems, I thought it was a no-brainer. But I ran the thunder out of it for 3-1/2 days with the stock clutch in it. I mean HARD! Drag racing XP900's, running in long trains with about 25 other sxs's full throttle thru the dunes and tree's, I was tired of worrying about the damn clutch! Pulled the cover off tonight and it looks great. Really thought I'd find more belt dust in the cover but the thing looks brand new!

What do you guys think? Leave the stock one alone, run the warranty out of it and then put the STM in if it eventually fails? Kinda one of those, "if it's not broke don't fix it", type of things. Or pull a perfectly good (so far anyway!) clutch and replace it with the bullet-proof STM setup?

About 45 hours and 425 miles with no problems. While I still don't trust it 100%, I do feel much better about it.

What do you think??

Primary.jpg
Both Clutches.jpg

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
good to know! I think your fine there is people with 1000 miles and going hard

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd rock it until the wheels fall off. Like you said no reason to fix it if it ain't broke. I do carry a spare belt with me everywhere I go though just in case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was riding mine an sudently some ting pop and it didn't move any more now when I give it gas on gear it try's to go fowerd but it only goes about 2 inche and stops if I throttle up to 5000 I will hear a grinding noise do u tink is the belt or clutch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would put the STM clutches in it now and get it adjusted properly. Then I would show my buddies that my Maverick pulls the wheels off the ground when I launch.

The STM isn't just a fix. It is an upgrade that puts more of that 101hp to the ground.

Second reason I would do it is you can put that stock clutch away and when you go to sell the Maverick you can pull the STM clutches and have a good set of stock ones to sell it with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking so too. Leaning that way more and more.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
The other way to look at it is you're waiting for it to break and ruin your ride by having to get pulled out of the woods by someone else when the problem could have easily been avoided, but that's not to say that it definitely will fail. The performance in itself is worth it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You won't know if it's gradually failing unless you pull that primary bolt out and check it for streching. I would definetly change it now. You already had the hard part done when you pulled the cover off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just gat back from dealer they say the secondary bolt back out they say can am came out with new stronger bolts and washers also they are replaising the primary bolt and the part in the back of the secondary with the 3 loops on it they say that is can-am's fix for that problen i gat the chance to speack with the mechanic an he say the belt looks new and that this should fix the problem.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Just gat back from dealer they say the secondary bolt back out they say can am came out with new stronger bolts and washers also they are replaising the primary bolt and the part in the back of the secondary with the 3 loops on it they say that is can-am's fix for that problen i gat the chance to speack with the mechanic an he say the belt looks new and that this should fix the problem.
did urs have the original recall bolts and washers on it , or is this it ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know i will ask the mechanick once a go back but i just purchase the maverick 6 weeks ago i has 9hrs on it so I'm thinking it did not had the wasers on since the day i purchase it the mechanics were geting it out of the crat box they just asemble it and i took it home

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Reactions: Whattha

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know what Can-Am is telling the mechanics, but they're having us lap the clutch bolts in. Just a little FYI.

P.S. if you decide against the STM clutches ill take them off your hands. ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts