Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'am new to the forum and i have seen a few guys talk about certain clutch issues on the maverick. I'am making a dune trip in a couple weeks and i want to make sure i smoke my brother in laws 900xp. Should i look into upgrading my clutch, if so who makes the best kit......Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You will spank the XP with the stock clutch but I hear the CVTech, QSC or Airdam primary clutches are the way to go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I went in to the dealer to back out of my deposit for an XRS this morning because of the clutch issue. He showed a message on bossweb? from a Can Am rep that said the clutch issue is isolated to the first production machines and any of the machines manufactured after the first run absolutely don't have this problem. He also told me that the visco-loc on the Mav is designed for an 1/8 turn engagement. I am hoping that the clutch issue has been resolved so I told them to go ahead and put my machine together.

·
Registered
468 Posts
U cant go wrong with Airdam Cv tech or QSC. Eother one will be a good choice. Airdam has more clutches on Maverick's than anyone does rite now. And that is an non debatable fact. This could stir some controversy but euther way u decide to go im pretty sure u won't be disappointed. I have an airdam cv tech on mune and its outstanding.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I went in to the dealer to back out of my deposit for an XRS this morning because of the clutch issue. He showed a message on bossweb? from a Can Am rep that said the clutch issue is isolated to the first production machines and any of the machines manufactured after the first run absolutely don't have this problem. He also told me that the visco-loc on the Mav is designed for an 1/8 turn engagement. I am hoping that the clutch issue has been resolved so I told them to go ahead and put my machine together.
I might have partially believed the part about the clutch but when he said the regular visco would lock in 1/8 of a turn he lost all credibility.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I might have partially believed the part about the clutch but when he said the regular visco would lock in 1/8 of a turn he lost all credibility.
Thats what I was thinking to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah i wonder if he was referencing the QE information. As soon as I get my mav I'll put it on my lift and try to determine how many revs before the front locks. But seeing the can am reps message about the clutches gave me a little more confidence. I am hoping to get the car tomorrow. If there is any intrest I will report my findings with the front diff.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
First off, which clutch issue is he referring to? Probably just the recall where I understand they replace a 'washer'. I've seen some on here, particularly, GlamisFan, where the clutch seems to have exploded even with the correct washer after the primary bolt broke. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that since I've been reading up on a lot of this prior to making my purchase. It just sounds like there may be more issues than an incorrect washer and I'd like to hope all this can be straightened out before I buy an XrS. And I'm ready to buy in March if I can be confident that it's ok.
Secondly, even if you go buy one off the showroom floor right now how do you know you aren't buying a first production machine. I could ask the salesman but I won't believe him anyhow. Granted they seem to be selling fast so this probably isn't likely but I'd sure like to know for sure.
I did talk to a friend this weekend who purchased a base model this month from Ride Now in Phx and he was unable to pick it up on the scheduled date because of the recall. They held it back from him until they were able to get the part/washer ordered and installed and then he was able to take delivery. That's first hand info from the actual buyer. Second hand to you guys I guess.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The dealer did check the vin and the one I am getting isn't under the recall. They told me is was maverick 843 or a number around there. Yes the rep was talking about the bolt issue, but after looking at all the sport utvs they all have issues. I've never had bad luck with BRP Products and am just hoping for the best. I am up north and these cars just got here last week. A reasonable assumption is that the first production was sent out probably to the south west were most of he problems seem to be happening. I'm not telling anyone to believe me. I just thought I would pass on the info given to me by a dealer I ride with and trust.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
First off, which clutch issue is he referring to? Probably just the recall where I understand they replace a 'washer'. I've seen some on here, particularly, GlamisFan, where the clutch seems to have exploded even with the correct washer after the primary bolt broke. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that since I've been reading up on a lot of this prior to making my purchase. It just sounds like there may be more issues than an incorrect washer and I'd like to hope all this can be straightened out before I buy an XrS. And I'm ready to buy in March if I can be confident that it's ok.
Secondly, even if you go buy one off the showroom floor right now how do you know you aren't buying a first production machine. I could ask the salesman but I won't believe him anyhow. Granted they seem to be selling fast so this probably isn't likely but I'd sure like to know for sure.
I did talk to a friend this weekend who purchased a base model this month from Ride Now in Phx and he was unable to pick it up on the scheduled date because of the recall. They held it back from him until they were able to get the part/washer ordered and installed and then he was able to take delivery. That's first hand info from the actual buyer. Second hand to you guys I guess.
No glamisfan did Not have the recall done

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
All the new ones have the recall done already

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Mine had the original setup, which consisted of the bolt with one thick washer and one "slippery" washer. No update had been done yet. A week ago the outer primary slipped, got the belt hot, and the belt exploded. Yesterday, the primary slipped again, but this time it tightened up the bolt until it stretched and broke. If you do some research on Google or the commander forum, you'll find this has been a problem for the last three years with the commanders. I joined the commander forum in September after learning of the Maverick to check out the reliability. I found that the steering rack, the primary CVT, and the rear differential were the three main problems. Steering racks will ALWAYS be a problem in any kind of off-road vehicle. They put a larger differential with helical cut gears instead of straight cut gears, that solves the rear differential problem. The only thing they've done to the primary is more slippery washers, which I'm thinking will just add to the problem. From what I read on the commander forums, and what a few people with past Can Am experience here have said, is that the solution is to put a CVTech///AIRDAM, or QSC primary on the Maverick. Either one is about $820.

·
Registered
711 Posts
installing a new clutch, will without a doubt resolve your clutch bolt problem, because it will get rid of the stock prmary that slips the belt and tightens the bolt. although since you already have the new bolt kit headed your way. i would install it and not give it a minutes worry for a while. you should not have to buy a new primary JUST to go ride it, the bolt kit will fix you up for now. the primary will fix your bolt/belt problem AND give you more performance, but that does not mean you gotta shell out that kinda money today. run the new bolt a while till you get your pennies saved back up and wanna go faster.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Mine had the original setup, which consisted of the bolt with one thick washer and one "slippery" washer. No update had been done yet. A week ago the outer primary slipped, got the belt hot, and the belt exploded. Yesterday, the primary slipped again, but this time it tightened up the bolt until it stretched and broke. If you do some research on Google or the commander forum, you'll find this has been a problem for the last three years with the commanders. I joined the commander forum in September after learning of the Maverick to check out the reliability. I found that the steering rack, the primary CVT, and the rear differential were the three main problems. Steering racks will ALWAYS be a problem in any kind of off-road vehicle. They put a larger differential with helical cut gears instead of straight cut gears, that solves the rear differential problem. The only thing they've done to the primary is more slippery washers, which I'm thinking will just add to the problem. From what I read on the commander forums, and what a few people with past Can Am experience here have said, is that the solution is to put a CVTech///AIRDAM, or QSC primary on the Maverick. Either one is about $820.
Oh I thought when you mentioned the two different washers that one of them was the recall replacement. Didn't realize they were both stock parts. It sounds like Airdam is saying the new washers will take care of it though and that's good to hear. If I'm happy with stock performance, which I think I will be for awhile, I wouldn't want to have to she'll out big bucks for a new clutch just to make it reliable. This is making me a little nervous about buying though.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The best clutch is the STM, bar none, and their entry level clutch is around the same price as the QSC or CV tek. If you even been sitting on a bike, and had a cast clutch come apart, you'd never have another one. All STM stuff is all billet construction, no cheap cast parts to fail.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The best clutch is the STM, bar none, and their entry level clutch is around the same price as the QSC or CV tek. If you even been sitting on a bike, and had a cast clutch come apart, you'd never have another one. All STM stuff is all billet construction, no cheap cast parts to fail.
No engine braking- Only problem

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I know that STM is the best, but I keep seeing a $2000 entry price. So is the Rage 3 their entry level? And can I run their primary with the stock secondary?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I had a good talk with a guy that had bought a STM Rage 6 setup for a Commander. Has his setup for for sale with only a couple hundred miles on it. He said once he had it tuned it went like mad when you were on it, but when it came to slow technical riding no amount of tuning could give a smooth chirp free engagement, so obviously that and the "below engagement" engine braking were deal breakers for him. He has a QSC primary setup now and says it goes like hell without the side effects.

If a guy were adding a turbo or some other means of hardcore power I would say STM would be the only way to go, or perhaps if all you ever do is point and shoot in the dunes,,,,,,, but for most of the "stock-ish" units out there that ride in a variety of terrain,,, I am pretty sure the CV Tech or QSC primary is going to be the best bang for the $..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts