Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am going to start at the beginning. We bought used 2017 maverick max 1000r. Machine has been working great from purchasing.
About 2 weeks ago it was tipped on its right side. It was like that for 30-45 mins before we could tip it back up right. Once it was back on 4 wheels, let sit for 20mins before starting. Started right up, engine oil was added but not much. Idles great.
Then as we drive it, in low speeds 0-20mph it has a surging/jerking feeling. Once over 25 you don't notice it and seems to drive great.
Pondering what could have happened, we opted to change oil, and diff fluid. Changed final transmission. Took for a ride and it was still doing same thing but really seemed to be driving good.
Well we got to open road and had it at 65 and pow, belt blew. We towed it back to our campsite and began taking it apart. The belt was completely shredded and cracked the cat outer case.
After a long time we eventually got 95% of old belt out and put a new (previously original belt) on to machine. Took for real short drive and heard a weird click or grinding noise. Still was doing the surging/jerking motion as well. Also smelt like burnt rubber.
Decided best to park it till we can look further into it.
Does anyone know what could be doing this?
Bad clutch?
Clutch alignment?
Other options?

We are new to these machines and need some input.

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Sounds like you smoked / burned a belt. Even though you put the original belt on, doesn't mean that one isn't smoked too. Try a brand new belt.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Agree with Hollywood, definitely sounds like bad belt, get a new one and install would be the 1st option to try.

Welcome from wherever our truck parks our home for the night.
Dunes City, OR

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. We plan to try new belt just don't want to burn a new one if there is a larger issue. Anyone ever aligned there clutch by themselves before? How difficult to do?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
What would explain the surging/jerking feeling in low speeds?
The belt slipping. That's the classic sign of a smoked belt. I also call it stuttering / shaking. Smoking a belt is easy to do, spin your tires over tree roots, loose gravel, wet leaves.

Reactions: BLR

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Try Rocky Mountain ATV for OEM belts. They usually have one of the best prices.

·
Registered
2016 Maverick 1000r Turbo Xds
49 Posts
I would clean out the rest of the 5% of the old belt you say you didn't get cleaned out and put a new belt on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. I believe to do so we will have to take secondary clutch out. Anything I should know about doing this? Read a new bolt is suggested, check helix, but anything else?
Also the belt going made crack in the cvt cover. Wondering if we could use some plastic jb weld on this? No hole just cracked.
We have a new one ordered but just for time being wondering if that would be an option.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Welcome from NW Oregon
There is a lot of info here on alignment. Sounds like it could also be your clutch not properly engaging, I would first check to make sure your clutch is free of and belt pieces, blow it out with compressed air good. I wouldn't worry about the cover as long as you're not submerging in water, yes you could jb it. No need for new bolt. You may want to get a primary removal tool.

·
Registered
309 Posts
OG mav's are notorious for clutch problems. My best advise would be to get the tools to remove both clutches and take them apart to clean, check for wear, and check the one way bearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright so we cleaned up rest of belt, put new belt on, no longer smell the burning however it is still jerking at low speed. My son describes it as a woosh sound as you accelerate, goes away when not on throttle, but it does jerk or bounce the machine. RPM may fluctuate 50-100 but nothing more awwe such a headache!!!!

Any ideas?

We have arrangements to bring it to shop but if we can avoid that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Alright so we cleaned up rest of belt, put new belt on, no longer smell the burning however it is still jerking at low speed. My son describes it as a woosh sound as you accelerate, goes away when not on throttle, but it does jerk or bounce the machine. RPM may fluctuate 50-100 but nothing more awwe such a headache!!!!

Any ideas?

We have arrangements to bring it to shop but if we can avoid that would be greatly appreciated.
Might have a clutch issue then. You might have knock a roller out.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Get the tools and learn how to work on your clutch or send it in to one of the clutch gurus and pony up.
Wouldn't recommend taking it to a shop that doesn't specialize in clutch work, odds are you won't be satisfied.
A lot of good info on here

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,767 Posts
Old chunks of belt/cord are likely stuck in the clutches by the sound of it.

Most people don't, but if you shred a belt you should be removing the clutches and popping them apart to clean and inspect. It will help you avoid many problems including damaged crank and transmission input shaft seals causing oil leaks as well.

Time to take em apart. There's some good YouTube videos from places like KWI, EVO, and AA on clutch servicing. Those companies also sell some good clutch tool kits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So we brought machine to shop. The guy said clutches look good, took care of any belt pieces we missed and suggested we go to a dealer and get the EFI reset. Says he couldn't keep it at a certain RPM. Had another person drive it and he too feels it's something with the fuel and air. We are thinking we will replace a fuel pump and see where we get. However finding information on Fuel pump for our machine has been a challenge.

Any recommendations for an aftermarket fuel pump?

Ours is located in tank.

2017 can am Maverick max 1000r.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,767 Posts
So we brought machine to shop. The guy said clutches look good, took care of any belt pieces we missed and suggested we go to a dealer and get the EFI reset. Says he couldn't keep it at a certain RPM. Had another person drive it and he too feels it's something with the fuel and air. We are thinking we will replace a fuel pump and see where we get. However finding information on Fuel pump for our machine has been a challenge.

Any recommendations for an aftermarket fuel pump?

Ours is located in tank.

2017 can am Maverick max 1000r.

Thanks for any help.
I would be testing the fuel pump before guessing that's what it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts