Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from the clutching masters. My secondary clutch spins as soon as I start it while in park/neutral, which makes shifting really hard. I have stm primary and secondary, I’ve tried shimming the secondary with everything from 2 to 6 shims. Nothing changes as far as the secondary not staying mostly still. What else could be causing this?

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
612 Posts
Sounds like the issue is on the primary. The belt and secondary shouldn’t be moving at idle. So my guess is that the primary hasn’t shifted all the way out and allowed the belt to rest on the center bearing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
^^^ Belt shouldn't move at idle.
Somethings wrong with the primary.
Are you idling at 13-1400?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it shouldn’t move, or at minimum, just barely creep forward. My question I guess is more along the lines of what can I try to fix that. Stm had me add the shim on the spring that they ship with the primary, but that didn’t change anything either.

And yes, normal idle rpm range. No custom tune or anything to change that.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
612 Posts
So it sounds like STM is suggesting it’s an alignment issue? I would start by checking the weights to make sure they all are moving correctly and didn’t get stuck. I have seen them get stuck and not let the primary clutch move all the way out. Sometimes broken springs cause that.

Pictures could help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need some help from the clutching masters. My secondary clutch spins as soon as I start it while in park/neutral, which makes shifting really hard. I have stm primary and secondary, I’ve tried shimming the secondary with everything from 2 to 6 shims. Nothing changes as far as the secondary not staying mostly still. What else could be causing this?
My can am x3 is doing the same exact thing, did you find out what was wrong with the clutch ? Thanks 👍

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
My can am x3 is doing the same exact thing, did you find out what was wrong with the clutch ? Thanks 👍
sounds like your clutch is not disengaging all the way. remove clutches, disassemble and inspect all parts and then reinstall. After that you will have to look into belt alignment. Search more and you will find out how, and it aint easy.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
612 Posts
What Mega said...and maybe your primary spring is to soft. Stiff spring should keep the primary from engagement until a higher rpm than idle. And or wrong belt for the clutches. To wide of a belt?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I did figure it out. One of my primary clutch weight arms (I don’t know the actual name) was sticking and holding the clutch slightly closed from where it was supposed to be on idle. Once I got it freely moving, problem solved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts