Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Maverick 1000R and it has only about 8 miles on it and that is for a reason. I have just been buzzing around the neighborhood trying to break in the belt per the owner's manual and I am getting some pretty heavy clunking either in the rear end or clutch. If I get the unit up to a modest speed and then slow down modestly to a stop and still leave it in high, when I hit the gas and not even hard, there is a noticeable bang or metal on metal sound prior to the unit starting to move. I would equate the sound to a bad automatic transmission clanking into gear or drive line slack on a pickup when you don't have good gear meshing tolerance. Anyone else having this?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
take it to dealer asap , warranty maybe clutch bolt backing out

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds like normal operation to me. The sound you are describing is the helix in your secondary clutch. If you burp the throttle prior to accelerating you will take up the play and not get as much of a clunk.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
is he talking about the can am clutch clunk , lol

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sounds like normal operation to me. The sound you are describing is the helix in your secondary clutch. If you burp the throttle prior to accelerating you will take up the play and not get as much of a clunk.
Never heard it explained like that before and I've had this same or similar condition in mine since new also. I figured it was crappy clutch engagement from scratch and just learned to 'work' the throttle somewhat like you stated to get around it. I know very little about these clutches so is the helix somewhat like the bendix gear on a starter motor in that it is 'thrown' out to engage the drive. And then the clunk we hear is the helix slamming to the end of it's shaft or something?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
ya I always give it alil gas till I feel it engage then gas it , I don't like people hearing that sound , lol

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you put in an aftermarket secondary spring that has to be installed with alittle tension I hear it fixes the clunk. I have mine ordered and will find out.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yup !

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you put in an aftermarket secondary spring that has to be installed with alittle tension I hear it fixes the clunk. I have mine ordered and will find out.
Is that the torsional spring you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
yes it is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
is he talking about the can am clutch clunk , lol
LOL.... I love it... I tell people its the power snapping to attention...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I guess that's the one from STM or AirDam that some have installed to fix their slipping at high rpm. If it fixes that clunk on take off then I may have to invest in one since it's a pretty simple fix to get rid of that annoying clunk.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It sounds like the others that had the same problem. glazing on the pro belt. Very small spot one side or the other. Every time it slips by you get a clunk. Only does it when starting up. Had a friend fix his two weeks ago. (new belt) Mine did it but the clutch blew up before I found the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the Maverick 1000R and it has only about 8 miles on it and that is for a reason. I have just been buzzing around the neighborhood trying to break in the belt per the owner's manual and I am getting some pretty heavy clunking either in the rear end or clutch. If I get the unit up to a modest speed and then slow down modestly to a stop and still leave it in high, when I hit the gas and not even hard, there is a noticeable bang or metal on metal sound prior to the unit starting to move. I would equate the sound to a bad automatic transmission clanking into gear or drive line slack on a pickup when you don't have good gear meshing tolerance. Anyone else having this?
I took it to the dealership and they said it is supposed to make that noise. He said mine is louder than most but not the loudest he has heard. It is just the engagement of the "dogs" as he called them as they are slipping into place. I asked, what if I need quick acceleration off the line and as another person in this thread said, "you need to burp the throttle to engage" and then you will be ready. Just not use to the Can Am Clunk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took it to the dealership and they said it is supposed to make that noise. He said mine is louder than most but not the loudest he has heard. It is just the engagement of the "dogs" as he called them as they are slipping into place. I asked, what if I need quick acceleration off the line and as another person in this thread said, "you need to burp the throttle to engage" and then you will be ready. Just not use to the Can Am Clunk
My dealer said the same thing "ease in just enough throttle to engage".

Without that "play" built into the design it would be very difficult to shift from reverse to high/low (especially with a load on it). It's not like you can use body english (like on a 4-wheeler) to rock it to take the load off enough to change gears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts