Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Maverick clutch engagement has been steadily getting rougher. I now have 90 hours on it. Took it to the dealer, they drove it and agreed that, at launch, it has a "jerky" response. They opened it up and told me they could find no wear on belt, or clutch's and had no answer. They had performed the factory recall bolt/washer replacement at 15 hours. I am no mechanic, but do read forum posts frequently. Would changing the secondary spring/helix setting be useful? What should the factory setting be (b1 or a1)? I doubt that they disassembled the secondary to check that. I just want a smooth, low rpm transition when starting to move out. I have no other issues with this machine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sounds like a belt. I assume you mean it's jerking pulling out from a dead stop under light throttle. My friends commander does this since he slipped the belt, dealer told him belt is fine. I think some dealers don't have a clue when it comes to inspecting belts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
You have 90 hours on your maverick ? Nice !

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is better in low, but still jerks when at low rpm. In addition, it doesn't turn easily. Feels almost as if in 4 wd.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree, probably needs a new belt. Dealer didnt know wtf he was doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you. I am going back tomorrow to get a new belt. I have done a lot of hard rock and sand climbing that has overheated the belt a number of times. Guess that is the price you pay for having fun.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Glad to hear no clutch probs with that many hours combined with that type of riding, although I dont think 90 hrs alot of time for a belt?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
At least you can hang onto the old belt to use as an emergency spare.

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is a minimum belt width spec they are supposed to check, and never do. It's done by measuring with a slide caliper from side to side, on the "thread" inside the belt. Although I'm not sure what the Maverick spec is, I _believe_ the commander and atv spec was 31mm min....although many of mine went to close to 30 before being a real issue. Anything under 30 is a MUST REPLACE.

You'd need to check it in several spots because one spot is usually more worn than others.

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer replaced belt due to a very slight, and difficult to find, de-lamination. Apparently, my slow rock climbing speed in which I alternate clutching, caused the belt to overheat, thus begin to separate. This caused the jerkiness at slow launch. Thought you guys who quickly, and correctly, diagnosed the problem would like to know. Thanks to all. Btw, the dealer knew nothing of "clutch clocking", so if anyone can explain further, it might help me understand it better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts