Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well, it's funny you should ask about climbing. Here's a couple quick clips from our ride yesterday. Because of the wide lens this looks really innocent. Here are the factors though: It's damn near straight vertical, it's higher then it looks, and the sand is loose. The area we were climbing caved in as we were leaving in fact. The guy I'm asking in the video is in a Polaris Rzr 900...and scared to climb it. I was busting on him a bit....heh.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have sport low - that I made myself instead of paying $200.... So that's why I always ride in low. Your avatar shows your rig on a dune, and that's not the type of hills i"m talking about. I ride in woods and rocks, and there's no way I'd go in high. That's just asking for a belt to be smoked.

Sorry but My car is not on top of dune in my avatar. Dunes don't have rocks and gravel. That's a small hill that is hard dirt & rocks. It is in the desert and I understand the difference between wooded trails and open desert.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have sport low - that I made myself instead of paying $200.... So that's why I always ride in low. Your avatar shows your rig on a dune, and that's not the type of hills i"m talking about. I ride in woods and rocks, and there's no way I'd go in high. That's just asking for a belt to be smoked.
Would you be willing to share how you made one yourself. I am willing to do this myself instead of paying the ridiculous $200 for a harness and some connectors.

·
Registered
400 Posts
not trying to be disrespectful, but hill doesn't look too steep + getting a running start solves lots of momentum problems, start at bottom and try it, or start at bottom and try in reverse, cool video seeing the mavs out

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I hear ya. The GoPro made it look tame. It's bigger than it looks, and really damn near straight up. Undeniable the speed helped..but no way in hell I'd have tried it any other way. It was so loose and unstable...the Polaris guys never went up it....because they were scared. =)

·
Registered
400 Posts
not saying I would LOL

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

Sorry but My car is not on top of dune in my avatar. Dunes don't have rocks and gravel. That's a small hill that is hard dirt & rocks. It is in the desert and I understand the difference between wooded trails and open desert.
For some reason I always thought your pic was taken on a dune also just due to the total lack of vegetation I guess.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
For some reason I always thought your pic was taken on a dune also just due to the total lack of vegetation I guess.
Actually it was taken at Superstition Mtn where its mostly hard packed dirt & rocks with some sand mixed in. There is vegetation in the area but not in the area where I choose to take the picture.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pics and videos don't do hills justice, can't tell the steepness or roughness . IMHO

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Pics and videos don't do hills justice, can't tell the steepness or roughness . IMHO
I ended up doing it too..and I won't lie I was scared to death the first time(peer pressure is a bitch). I wasn't worried about getting hurt...but smucking up my machine. The Mav took me to the top without any issues at all. I did it a couple more times...even in 2wd without a problem....but that's probably why it caved in after we were done...I dug it up pretty well....lol.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts