Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need someone to share any and all ideas on full windshield clean after first real ride there is scratches all over front windshield and all from just mud and light brush never really was in woods so this is mostly just from mud and dirt.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very reason most ppl run half windshields

Reactions: Clifs maverick

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have the BRP 1/2 windshield and it became scratched after the first ride. Was very disappointed seeing that it cost $225. I picked up some auto headlamp cleaner/scratch removal stuff...it helped a little bit, but I'm afraid the damage is done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
When it gets to a point if discuss, wrap with a cool design or dark tint. 1/2 windshield of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
My secret is not to touch it! Carry a spray bottle with you and drown the mud. Have a rag completely soaked with water and move it back and fourth over window. Lightly dry it with your wife's best cotton towels( they love that ).
Do not use paper towels no matter how convienient... This is wood products. You wouldn't rub it with a 2x4 would you?
The best method is a garden hose but not always available out in the middle of no where. I can get about 5 good trips using this method. I do have the option of folding mine down when it gets too bad on the trail

·
Registered
548 Posts
The very reason I told the GF that there will be no windshield. I knew it would drive me nuts to have a scratched windshield. Helmet, goggles and dressing appropriately has been my alternative to a windshield. Whatever you do, don't wipe it off when there is any mud or dirt on it!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I soak two microfiber towels with water, put them in a baggie and fill the baggie with water and carry that with me. When it's dirty I lightly go over the shield with one of the soaked towels and then use a clean dry microfiber to dry it. No scratches yet and it's been pretty caked with mud. The microfiber and a very light touch is the key.

Reactions: PLAY-DOH

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone ever tried some nano tech coating like neverwet?
I'm thinking about coating all my plastics and if possible even more. If it really works like they promise it would be a great solution!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn C6603 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had the same problem, I cut about 6-8 inches out of the middle only. So I still have the top and bottom . I can still see out the middle if the rest of the windshield gets dirty. A little bit if its real muddy will get on my goggles. I really IMG_0788.jpg love this setup. It still gives you 3/4 protection.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW, that seems to be pretty cool set up, i am all about not getting muddy if its not the time to get muddy..lol
Especially until i figure out the whole mud flare issue

thanks again to ALL for opinions and info

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HAHAH i just found this has anyone tried it?

HOW TO REMOVE SCRATCHES FROM LEXAN
Remove the windshield
Trickle running water across the visor to keep it constantly wet. Wash off light dirt using just water and a soft rag. Soaps may create a haze of small scratches.
Squeeze a small amount of toothpaste (mild type) onto a soft t-shirt type rag. The amount should be just enough to cover the end of the index finger.
Move the toothpaste lightly against the scratch (side to side motion). The light abrasives in the toothpaste will reduce the size of the scratch by making smaller (less visible) scratches.
Rinse and check the visor frequently to note the results of the effort.
Dry with a soft dry cloth. (Do not use paper towels.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
hahah i just found this has anyone tried it?

How to remove scratches from lexan
remove the windshield
trickle running water across the visor to keep it constantly wet. Wash off light dirt using just water and a soft rag. Soaps may create a haze of small scratches.
Squeeze a small amount of toothpaste (mild type) onto a soft t-shirt type rag. The amount should be just enough to cover the end of the index finger.
Move the toothpaste lightly against the scratch (side to side motion). The light abrasives in the toothpaste will reduce the size of the scratch by making smaller (less visible) scratches.
Rinse and check the visor frequently to note the results of the effort.
Dry with a soft dry cloth. (do not use paper towels.)
You better get a dump truck load of toothpaste for every scratch you will be getting.(lol)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
tinting might help , but it will; scratch but save the windshield or u can buff them out

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Plast X by meguires. You have to keep re applying but it works
I tried that stuff. Maybe I gave up on it too soon.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Novus Plastic Polish and Scratch remover does a good job but it still can't get all the scratches out. I carry a 1 gallon weed sprayer when we go out. Gets the Arizona dust off but not too sure about a lot of mud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts